< Back to IRCAM Forum

proportional notation and polytempo

Dear JC,

I am happy to learn that save-as-etf still works with Finale. It’s too bad Finale decided to drop this format.
By the way, the first measure bug is new to me. What version of Finale are you using ?
Besides, you might take a look on this lib for pdf exporting : http://karim.haddad.free.fr/pages/downloads.html
It does the job pretty well. You might need to download Lilypond (it’s free). I use this now and very happy with it.

Best

K

Hi Jc,

I moved the topic here.
Regarding proportional notation in lilypond you can check it out here it works fine and has different behavior regarding non time notation such as clefs and such :

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/proportional-notation

For the tempi in Om its good you found out how to manage that. It is also possible to use polytempi and polymetrics in lilypond. I never succeded in doig such using Finale or Sibelius. Is Finale supporting now these issues ?

best
K

PS: tell me if you need a simple example for the proportional notation in lilypond.

Dear Karim,

The post here is already a few years old, but it concerns exactly the problem that is bothering me right now. By the way, I have desperately searched several forums for an answer, unfortunately in vain.

Would it be possible for you to post an example showing how polytempo works in LilyPond? Or how the text file generated by the om->lily function would have to be modified in order to display the overlay of different tempos in LilyPond?

I have been trying to understand how this could work for some time. Unfortunately, when I export an OM poly object with multiple voices, each with its own tempo, using om->lily, and then open it in LilyPond (or Frescobaldi), the overlaying of the different tempos does not work (in addition to displaying the more unusual microtonal accidentals). I thought until now that it must be enough to move the Metronome_mark_engraver from the Score context to the Staff context in LilyPond, but that doesn’t seem to be enough. This way, the metronome markings can be assigned to the individual staffs, but the horizontal display of the rhythms remains unaffected.

So I’m not concerned here with the representation of polymetrics - that’s easily achieved by moving the Timing_translator and the Default_bar_line_engraver from the Score context to the Staff context (as is the case with the files exported from OM). It’s about overlaying different tempos. Ultimately, this is about displaying more complicated OM poly objects in LilyPond.

I am extremely grateful for any tips and hints!

Best regards,
Adrian

Dear Adrian,

Sorry for the late late reply. I will prepare an example for sure, and post it here. I will do this ASAP (a couple of days?). For the moment i have some urgent matters to finish, and will be on it. It is surely a very interesting topic.

Best
K

Dear Adrian,

Here is an example using polytempi and polymetrics:
First thing to do is to download omlily sources from here (sorry didn’t yet package it):

There seems some changes have been since lilypond version 2.23.x

Now before exporting from om to lilypond, you should in this case use the second mode of export (polymetric) in order that this works:

This should use the template2.ly

Here are the files (.ly, .pdf and patch):
polytempi.zip (80.2 KB)

Best
K

Dear Karim,
since I read your answer only now, the thank you comes a few days later. So: Thank you very much for this!
Best,
Adrian

1 Like