< Back to IRCAM Forum

Problems with saving patch

I am having problems saving patches.
I used to have a workspace C:/OpenMusic/Schillinger. I then created a workspace G:/OpenMusic/Schillinger as I wanted all my data files on my G: drive and not on my C: drive.
I copied all omp files into the new workspace and opened this workspace.
I created a few patches but for some reason it saved some of the patches in the old workspace rather than the new one. I copied the missing patches over and deleted the old workspace on my C: drive.
I then edited a patch but when I tried to save that patch I got an error “Failed to open file C:\OPENMUSIC\SCHILLINGER\elements\binomal-permut-test1.”
The same error appears every time I try to save a new patch.
Quitting OM and saving the workspace deleted all changes that I had made to the patch.
Somehow the workspace is still linked somewhere to C:\OPENMUSIC\SCHILLINGER. How can I break this link?
Thanks
Frank

Can you zip your problematic workspace and send it here. I think this is all due to patch copies you did.

Best
K

Further investigation revealed:
I have a patch called “rename-test” and a file in the workspace G:\OPENMUSIC\SCHILLINGER \elements called rename-test.omp.
If I try to re-name this patchto lets say “renamed-patch” it complains that the file C:\OPENMUSIC\SCHILLINGER\rename-test.omp cannot be opened.
It does actually save the renamed file with the correct name in the correct directory.

Yes apparently your workspace (excuse me), looks messy. It should only contain in its elements folder .omp .omm .oml kind of files. Now maybe windows did some aliases, and/or removed the extensions, which explains the trouble you are having.

Best
K

Schillinger.zip (48.5 KB)

Everything is OK when I close and re-open the workspace.
Until I try to rename a patch…

Dear fm42,

No in fact there is a real problem here. I am trying to figure it out. Tried even with older OM version. So it could be due to strange characters you used in your comment.
I will investigate and will be back to you.

Best
K

1 Like

Dear fm,

Ok reimported everything in a clean workspace. I thik this will work for you. Just unzip it in your location you want.

Best
K
schiling.wrk.zip (48.5 KB)

Still having the same problem.
I created a new workspace G:/OpenMusic/Schillinger2
I copied all the folders with oml and omp files into that workspace.
I opened the workspace and all went fine yesterday so I thought the problem was solved.
However today I opened the workspace and created a new lisp function in a folder in the workspace and copied some lisp code into it. When I tried to save the file it again came up with the error:

ERROR: Failed to open file C:\OpenMusic\Schillinger2\polynomal-square.oml
The system cannot find the path specified. (3).

Why is it still looking on the C: drive?

The only way I can save changes to the file is selecting Save-As going to the G:\OpenMusic\Schillinger\elements\Rhythm folder and selecting the file polynomal-square.oml
This will save the file but every time I want to open the file I get an error

“\OpenMusic\Schillinger2\elements\polynomal-square.oml” not found
Do you want to look for it?

I am sorry for this. It looks that the .oml lisp-function patch is causing this trouble.
Does it happen with normal .omp patches ?
I will look into that because it seems to me it is a bug.

Best
K

Yes I just realised it happens with patches as well. In fact most of patches and functions I created today were wiped completely blank!
There is one that seemed to have survived but the strange thing if when I open it it has the ^ symbol in the title bar which I think means it has not been saved.

The functions I created today are:
rotate-list (in util)
polynomal-square (in rhythm)

and the patch (which had quite a few elements in it)
trinomal-square (in rhythm)

I am attaching the workspace
Hopefully we can solve this problem because otherwise I do not know how to proceed.
Thanks
Frank
Schillinger2.zip (55.9 KB)

Further information:
I have 3 folders in my workspace:
rhythm
test
util

For example when I open the folder test (in workspace select tesst folder, right click ->Open) and then right click in the folder window and select New -> New Patch I get the following error

ERROR: Failed to open file C:\OpenMusic\Schillinger2\elements\Test\Patch 4.omp: The system cannot find the path specified. (3).

Dear Frank.

One thing reassuring, is that your workspace works fine here (on linux).
Tomorrow, will test it on a windos10 vm and will investigate further.
By the way, OM doesn’t mind (in principle) to have a workspace opened on another volume (HD). It could be a very silly path bug. By the way, can you tell me where your workspace is (exact path) ? i could see just this one:

“#P”…/Rhythm/dist-over-instr.oml"" “#P”…/Rhythm/sch-interference.omp""))
And if you are using the WS on the G: device ?

BEst
K

This is doing my head in!
I created a quite complicated patch yesterday and used it for a while. When I saved the patch I got the usual message that the file was not found (on the C: drive!) but after closing the patch and opening it it seemed OK.

Today when I opened Open Music the patch was completely empty!
This happened the day before as well.
This is extremely frustrating as all the work that had gone into creating the patch (complete with 2 sub-patches and about 60 elements) has now twice been wasted!

Is anyone else having problems like this?
Please help!
Frank

G:\OpenMusic\Schillinger2

What is WS?

Sorry WS probably means workspace.
Yes the workspace I am using is G:\OpenMusic\Schillinger2

I created this workspace new and then copied the files from the original workspace (C:\OpenMusic\Schillinger) into it.

I created a new workspace because I wanted to break any link to the workspace OM created in C:\OpenMusic\Schillinger

Sorry for asking, but if for the time being you used the workspace on C: drive does that bother you, the time i can see what’s wrong here. I believe i know where the bug lies and it is not specific to om 6.17, but on the windows portage.
So for the moment it ould be good for you to work on drive C: the time i fix it.

Best
and sorry for all that.
K

I had the same idea so I created a WS on the C: drive and copied the elements folder over. So far it seems to work fine.
Thank you very much for your help and please keep me updated if you have any news.
Thanks again
Frank

Dear Frank,

Just to let you know i am working on this problem. It’s slow working though i am on a windows vm. But i will surely let you know.
I am first trying to reproduce the bug. Then we will see. (I think it is a sillly one!)

BEst
K

Hello I wish you are well! I came to this thread because of the same problem … I have tried many things, but nothing has worked. The same thing happens if you need to import an image into a BPF … you always want to put everything on disk C. Have you been able to find a solution?
Thank you very much!