< Back to IRCAM Forum

Problem with the source in MaxOrch

Hi there. I seem to have a problem with standalone MaxOrch. After specifying the correct path for the tinySOL2020 package, selecting a database (it does take a moment to load), all instruments and a target - I keep getting the following error message:
“orchidea.orchestrate: error: orchidea: cannot load target or compute features (source must be loaded before analyzing a target)”
I am working on a MacBook Air from 2012, OS 10.15.7.
I would be grateful for some assistance. Best,
Alex

Hi Alex,

check :

• load the dataset
  • send the orchestra
  • maybe your target is not good, are you using a .wav file ?

see all those step in Max Console.

Can you send your target file ? Did you begin by creating a static orchestration ?

Best,

Jerome

Thank you a lot, Jerome. Yes, I loaded “mdcc” (dataset) and selected “all instruments”. The target file (as a “new user” I was not allowed to upload a file) should be ok as it is reproduced as “target audio file”. The error message remains:
“orchidea.orchestrate: error: orchidea: cannot load target or compute features (source must be loaded before analyzing a target)”
Do I need to install any other program (apart from MaxOrch & tinySOL2020 data)? Max is not needed, as far as I understand. How about Orchidea?
Best,
A.

Well, if I can’t see anything, it will be harder, well…

Not good, mdcc has it’s own instruments, the orchestra in MaxOrch is for SOL’s If you use another (and rather old) dataset (So old that I can’t find it online, send me a link), ignore the SOL instruments.

to see the instruments, click on Create Orchestra, and click on View All Instruments.

• unckeck partialfiltering too.

Best,

Jerome

PS : what preset do you use ?

Huh, I just realised that when I select “mdcc” (or “spectrum”, for that matter), I get the following messages:
“orchidea.db.query: can’t find db file /Volumes/notfound/
orchidea.db.query: no valid db files found”
Something (instruments database) seems to be missing, right?
I have downloaded my TinySOL2020 from the IRCAM webpage (TinySOL | Ircam Forum).

p.s. I’m really grateful for your time, Jerome.

Hi,

You mean “mfcc” ?

yes, put your dataset in ~/Documents/Max 8/Packages/orchidea/db folder

it must look like this :

You can use only TinySOL2020, but I invite you to install OrchideaSOL2020 which is richer. it’s still free, only FullSOL2020 is premium

Best,

Jerome

I was missing one of the files (OchideaSOL2020.md5.txt). Now it works (instruments load correctly), but only kind of :-). Orchestration starts but then the program freezes by puting up on the screen the folder from which the target file was selected. Even if I manage to close it (which is impossible if any specific type of orchestration was selected) no output can be heard, although a solution is notated (presented in the notation section). There are several error messages provided, but I do not want to bother you further. Thank you for your help, Jerome.

Only FullSOL2020 has all the instruments and combos…

This is strange, do you use the button to load the target ? try with a short sound

Best,

Jerome

PS : which preset do you use ?

Well, I’ve tried everything with the same freeze as the result. Then I installed the MaxOrch on my other Mac (Macbook Pro) that also has Max on it. Everything is running smoothly there. So, either there is a “short-circuit” between MaxOrch and some other music-related program on my Macbook Air, or MaxOrch does not run robustly without Max. (There are likely other explanations of which I remain ignorant). Anyhow, the problem is solved with your patient assistance. Best,
Alex

hello,

Glad to see you can get the patch to work. I’m not sure what could be causing the problem… But I think Per @pbloland got feedback on a similar problem. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you manage to isolate the bug. We’ll dig into it, but since you can’t isolate your bug, it won’t be easy.

Best,

Jerome

Well, it turned out that the trick was to (re-install MaxOrch and) deny the program access to “folders on the disc”. It all works well now, thank you :slight_smile:

Yes, I’ve definitely seen this bug: every time an orchestration is run, it opens multiple new dialogs looking for some unspecified thing. One can eventually cancel out of them all but the orchestration fails. I can’t remember the error, but it could be the one you saw: “orchidea.orchestrate: error: orchidea: cannot load target or compute features (source must be loaded before analyzing a target)”

This seems to be caused by a problem with the structure and/or location of the database folder. Here are the rules for database folder location and structure as I understand them:

• the folder that contains the selected database and the sample files is assumed to be in the following location: Users/username/Documents/Max 8/Packages/orchidea/db/folder-that-contains-database-and-samples

• if it is not there, its location must be set before running an orchestration - in MaxOrch this is handled in the File/Folders dialog (top left).

• that folder must contain:

1. a subfolder with the samples files. I believe the name of that folder must match the name of the database file. Using TinySOL as an example, that folder should be called TinySOL,
    2. at least one database (called, for example TinySOL.mfcc.db).

Jerome’s folder image displays a correct install. I don’t think the md5.txt file matters one way or another, only the folder with the samples and the appropriate .db file.

The fact that by denying the program access to “folders on the disc” you got it to work makes me think you might have multiple copies of the same database, one of which is not set up correctly. But either way, I’m glad it’s working for you now!

Thank you, Per, for this lovely sofware! And yes, all three rules were obeyed.
A.