< Back to IRCAM Forum

Problem recording midi to OM

This seems like a pretty basic problem, but for years it’s been a minor source of trouble, and today I had a small breakthrough, but I can’t seem to repeat it.

Namely, I can play MIDI out to LOGIC and the latter records it without much problem. (The IAC bus is notoriously imprecise, but the drift isn’t typically more than 10-20 ms, which is just a minor annoyance). But I’ve never been able to send MIDI on IAC bus 1 in to OpenMusic.

Today, somehow, I managed to do it - once. I had to turn off OM’s MIDI output, because it was creating a loop with logic. The MIDI went over the IAC bus and into OM just fine. So I thought it would be a simple matter of creating more IAC busses (I have a new computer) so I wouldn’t have to turn off the output in the future.

This seems to have taken me back where I started. Now it doesn’t record anything anymore, or it records a big cluster of notes that are not what I was trying to send. It records MIDI from my external keyboard just fine, just not from the IAC bus.

Could it have something to do with MIDI beat clock, or MIDI time code? When I managed to record MIDI, neither of them were selected. I’ve tried with or without both being selected, and nothing works.

I would appreciate any help with this, exporting files is actually a big hindrance to my creative process. It is nice to send something back and forth between OM and the DAW a few times, but then I end up with hundreds or even thousands of MIDI files in a folder and I don’t even know what they are. Much better if I could just record them back and forth as needed.

Thanks,
Michal

Dear Michal,

Unfortunately this is not possible for the moment. starting from om6.12, the midi recording feature is disabled (yes the button is still there, but,…). The best to do is to record midi in Logic Then import it in om as a midifile.

Sorry for this inconvenience.

Best
K

Dear Karim, it appears I managed to unlock another hidden feature today. :smiley: I was really excited, too! It’s almost as good as the week when copy-paste started working for some reason, and then stopped again.

So, MIDI recording does still work from the keyboard though, shouldn’t it work the same way? I guess I’ll have to clean out my MIDIfile folders and make some room for new ones.

best,
Michal

Dear Michal,

what do you mean by copy/paste working and then not?
It might be related either an upgrade (os or om version).

Midi recording could work as you say but it is not 100% followed up in development side. So use it at your own risk. Maybe when we get to migrate to LW8 issue, for Big Sur and M1 processor, we can have a look on the midi recording issue.

Best
K