< Back to IRCAM Forum

Popo.fft for grasshoper

Hello, community.

Need your help and to guide the right way to deal with sound description. Want to apologise in advance - i’m not really deeply competent in sound but do know some basic concepts of dsp.

I’m trying to analyse sound sample – about 10 second long, 192kbs, 24bit, and get a table with frequency / phase / amplitude of each sample to use this data set as building blocks to create sculpture in Rhino, Grasshopper, literally representing each sine and cosine wave with it’s frequency and phase. I sent this question to MaxMsp forums and was advised to go for MUBU package and look for internal objects to make a detailed FFT processing.

pipo.fft looks like proper tool to solve it. But I can’t let it work in a proper way - using the example patch, offline mode, whatever sample I put into the buffer, some of the matrix cells filled up with numbers over expected amplitude limit of real and imaginary components

what am i doing wrong ? Is it any other methods to analyse sound and get result as .txt / raw text file format ?

THNX in advance.

Hi,

Here’s how the story goes for FFTs as complex functions:

• Magnitude (in pseudocode): SQRT(Real^2 + Imag^2);
  • Phase (again, in pseudocode): ATAN2(Imag, Real).

If I understood you correctly, these formulae seem to provide everything you’re looking for.

All the best,
António

BTW, you can use the mubu.process loopback feature and some zl plumbing to apply the formulas mentioned by @antonioflorenca to every bin like below. Frequency is simply bin index / numbins * (sr / 2)

----------begin_max5_patcher----------
616.3ocwV1rbaBCDG+L7Tngy1dP7oaOk7.jY58NY7HvBa4AjzHDotISd2qzJ
nNIlZiiSZN.1ZYQ+0ucWshm78BJD6osAnui9Ixy6IeOOvj0fW+XufFx9xZRK
3V.m9KQwtfYtGoo60f4cBFGEMXVRzkaY7MqTzRsa1wY4KBmghwvOoX68nnEg
n66eGdWCiWS0fLQ8FYqgY2n377fCNJ5zCdh6s5Lo+sj5zKH.cu8IO66auM65
v6wZTR32xP0T9IXLZ4R.qXfQGvWDiYiyXz+jwYeRbtQI5jSHalB.iSBuXTS+
pQsjnzBon97TFkm9NqYStPHqpEDskT2edW3Vzo0hSUkFCIKbrCmjg6iCE9Xn
hOL2JRCUSUqnbRQM.Q3ksIsfv274U.OkFR8aVwgWdIL9qtDtoqnagTIJossH
ISJlWUomukVKmKppPlqZFmtxXDcC2jpPlxchBcSCQqX6KE0Visn6Ha3Lc2ZJ
5GaIszAYruaoniqeITUBt19Vf92pXj5yWokkY+IwMx1pX5Q3vwCwIuX0zxdD
VMXak7oh7lKFWebR.VM.su4fPfHq8WmYZEcpxgYtuN.cfo0zVMiSzLylvC9j
37Yzb+j0wDMP3yHzqWLB0ZpBhNWkx4SfvzO.BSmfNuIJzvVKMe6gtO2gyyVj