< Back to IRCAM Forum

Pipo.slice help

Hello everyone,

I’m really excited to have discovered the mubu package! I’m still trying to work through the documentation and examples.

My question is about [pipo.slice]. In the help file, it appears that the data track has three columns, i.e. 3 separate signals, that are output by [mubu.play] as a list of 3 elements.

Then these lists go to [pipo.slice], that is supposed to do windowing for fft’s etc.
How are these three signals handled? Are they processed separately, i.e. we get 3 separate FFTs and spectra? Are they joined or summed somehow?
It looks like just the first is processed. If so, assuming we wanted to analyse all 3 signals, would we need to e.g. split the list and store to different tracks?

Also, the helpfile mentions “real-time fft using pipo.slice”, but I can see no fft process in the pipo object (like slice:fft).

Thanks a lot for any help!
Dani

Could you guys please at least point me in the right direction?

Hi Dani,

you’re right, the slice only uses the first element of the input frame, and the fft has been removed from the example (but not from the comment) for clarity.
To get 3 ffts you’d have to use 3 pipo instances for real-time, or 3 mubu.process with slice:select:fft for offline for now.

HOWEVER: If column-wise fft analysis is and important use-case we might consider adding a column-wise slice/fft option.

Best…
…Diemo

Hi Diemo,

Thans for your answer.
It was more important for me to be clear on what input the various models need. I’m starting work on a project involving IMU sensors on dancers, so there’ll be plenty of data needing analysis. Separate instances is perfectly fine.

Thanks again,

Dani