< Back to IRCAM Forum

Permission denied

Hi,

When constructing a nim incrementally, I have a permission denied :

maxwindow: antescofo~: @savevalue: unable to open file `minim.asco.txt' : Permission denied [lsv7]
when using the function @savevalue and despite the fact that I've changed the mod of the file and the folder container. Any hint ? Thank you

I used an old example in the http://repmus.ircam.fr/antescofo/faq/control/preset

N.B. Actually, the file is saved when this path is declared like this “/tmp/file.asco.txt” but it’s saved in the private folder which is hidden by default

N.

Same thing with @gnuplot ! Two files (Cf.attached) are saved in private/tmp and no plot graphic
Is the path to gnuplot exec right ? $gnuplot_path := “/user/local/bin/gnuplot” shown by the terminal cmd

which gnuplot

Same thing with @gnuplot ! Two files (Cf.attached) are saved in private/tmp and no plot graphic
Is the path to gnuplot exec right ? $gnuplot_path := “/user/local/bin/gnuplot” shown by the terminal cmd

which gnuplot

Thanks

which gnuplot

Thanks

N.

Hello Nadir.

Try to specify a full path to your file (for @savevalue). If you use a relative path, the file will be saved in the “current directory”. The notion of current directory, when Max/PD is launched by double-clicking on an icon, is not clear and may refer to a system directory where you may not have the right to create a file.

/tmp is a directory which is always accessible for any users and which is used to create application temporary files. Even if the directory is hidden, you can use it. The directory is purged each time the computer reboot.

Nadir,

I would use a full-path. We use Max paths in several places in the Antescofo language (such as includes) but I don’t think they are being employed for @savevalue and @gnuplot ! I always thought these two features were more or less for internal testing so I never bothered! :slight_smile:

We’ll try to include Max paths for those in future release. Thanks for bringing this up.

Cheers,

Arshia

For gnuplot: the variable $gnuplot_path must be set before launching @gnuplot. The command may fail if the arguments are not in the expected format. But in this case, you must have an error message. If not, data files are created in /tmp. For one plot, there are two files : /tmp/tmp.antescofo.gnuplot.N and /tmp/tmp.antescofo.data.N where N is an integer. The file /tmp/tmp.antescofo.gnuplot.N contains the gnuplot commands which plots the data in /tmp/tmp.antescofo.data.N . So, you can test if everything is ok by writing in a terminal

/user/local/bin/gnuplot /tmp/tmp.antescofo.gnuplot.1

(for example). If they are errors, then post the error messages. It may happen that gnuplot is poorly installed on the system (for instance if there is no support for windowing). If it works well, then it should works directly from antescofo.

Yes a full path works very fine for the @savevalue function !

and yes Arshia this function is handy when we’d like to save (tweakable) preset files.

Thanks both of you :slight_smile:

Cheers

N.

As for plotting, indeed I have a warning : Plotting with an ‘unknown’ terminal and I have to select one with ‘set terminal’.
I must check how to do that !

Thanks Jean-Louis (for the /temp folder tip too :wink:

Bye Now

N.