< Back to IRCAM Forum

Periodic xruns but no Sound on Arch Linux

Hello everyone,

I installed OM using the available package from the arch user repository, but installing it form the archive in the download section yields the same result.

OM starts up just fine with the following messages in the terminal:

[ale@ale-archbook ~]$ openmusic

“Loading PortMIDI library: libportmidi.so”
“could not load foreign-library libsamplerate”
“Initializing cl-jack…”
“Init cl-jack: done”
“Loaded SDIF lib: libsdif.so”
; Loading text file /home/ale/.local/share/OpenMusic/6.10.1/OMPrefs.lisp
; Loading text file /home/ale/openmusic/preferences.lisp
; Loading text file /home/ale/openmusic/wsparams.lisp

“PortMIDI reinitialized.”
“PortMIDI - devices detected:
“Midi Through Port-0” [OUTPUT]
“Midi Through Port-0” [INPUT]
“qjackctl” [OUTPUT]”
“MIDI: Restoring presets from preferences…”
“PortMIDI reinitialized.”
“PortMIDI - devices detected:
“Midi Through Port-0” [OUTPUT]
“Midi Through Port-0” [INPUT]
“qjackctl” [OUTPUT]”
“PortMIDI :: OUTPUT port 0 => Synth input port (2666:0)”
“MIDI: Restoring presets from preferences…”

I tried loading a sound file and play it in the editor, but i get no sound, while everything else seems to work. I checked qjacktcl and it shows me xruns about every second. The message log shows me a lot of these messages:

Wed Nov 2 12:11:55 2016: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error Wed Nov 2 12:11:55 2016: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error Wed Nov 2 12:11:55 2016: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error Wed Nov 2 12:11:55 2016: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error Wed Nov 2 12:11:55 2016: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = CLJack was not finished, state = Triggered Wed Nov 2 12:11:55 2016: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error Wed Nov 2 12:11:55 2016: ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

Does any one have an idea, what is causing this?

Thanks for your help

Hi.

You can try changing Jacks period length or buffer size (and start jackd before you launch OM).

It may also be your version of the 32bit jackd is broken (as is mine here). Older builds (2013-2015) work, but newer builds yields the problems you observe (same troubles with all 32-bit jack-apps).

-anders

Hello Anders,

Thanks for your help. Changing period length doesn’t do anything for me unfortunately. I also tried downgrading from jack2 1.9.10 to 1.9.9, still getting the same errors. I got it to work now by using jack1 instead of jack2, but that comes with other downsides, like not working with pulse very nicely.

I don’t beleive it’s jacks fault as such. The problem - 32-bit libjack not working on recent builds - occurs while everything jack is as before, only the build environment has changed. I haven’t been able to debug this properly, partly because nobody else seems to still use 32-bit i guess (the jack developers are also confused about this).

It’s good news you got it working with jack1 though. Maybe i should check recent updates on this issue. Which sources/build of jack1 are you having success with?

A test case included with the jackd sources:
“example-clients/simple-client.c” compiled with -m32 doesn’t work here, while it’s ok without (ie. 64-bit version).
Perhaps you could check w. your builds and report back? If the -m32 version works OM should work as well.

Thanks.

-anders