< Back to IRCAM Forum

OpenMusic seems slower on Monterey and M1x processor

Hi,
I have migrated to using OpenMusic on a new M1x macbook pro, MacOS Monterey, and OpenMusic seems considerably slower than before when it comes to load the workspace, or open patches and subpatches. I haven’t noticed any sensible change in the evaluation time (though I’ve not worked intensively yet), but is that a ‘normal’ side-effect of the new machines/systems, or is there something I could do to fix this problem?
Thanks,
Jimmie

Dear Jimmie,

Sorry but i can’t tell exactly since i didn’t test it on a M1 Monterey OS.But I assume that the first reason is that it is running on Rosetta II which is some sort of an emulation. So it is not running natively on the ARM processor. The good news is that LispWorks promised a soon to be released version which will be compatible with the Arm (M1) apple’s cpu so it should run faster concerning loading files etc.
The other reason might also be that your workspace is somewhat big. What is the current size of it? This may cause the slowness in loading. Big workspaces or big patches (in size) can take sometime to load.

Best
K

Dear Karim,
Thank you for the quick follow-up. Indeed, my workspace is large, but without any change, it is slower to load than it was on my previous machine, as are the various patches that it contains. So, I can surely get some improvements at this level, but there’s definitely a difference in speed. Let’s hope that the new LISP version will help, and that an updated OM version will follow.
In the meantime, I’ll try to make my workspace lighter!
Thanks again,
Jimmie

Dear Karim,

Just to add to the conversation, I have also been migrating to an M1 Max running Monterey. I’ve also found that large patches take considerably longer than on my old 2008 Mac Pro. A large patch that takes maybe 20 seconds to load on the earlier machine takes something like 5-10 minutes to load on the new one! Hopefully a native version of Lispworks will make a difference, as you say. I’m happy to help with beta testing a new version of OM if this is useful.

In other news, the R-udp-player works well under Monterey on the M1 Max! I was expecting trouble looking for a replacement for Microplayer, but R-udp-player is great!

Best wishes,
Andy

Thanks for reporting Andy.
For the moment we are still waiting for the LW version. When it will be released, will maybe launch beta testing of course.

Best
K

Thanks Karim, hopefully the new version of LW will be released soon.

Best wishes,
Andy

Will keep you posted for sure.

Best
K

Hi,

Just to keep you posted. LispWorks 8.0 compatible M1 processors has just been released. I am undergoing some tests. It seems that we should update some om Api features in order to get OM back on foot. So I will be having some fun on my holidays in order to get this working.

Best
K

Hi Karim,

Thanks, that’s great news! I hope the updating isn’t too intensive and that you get some time off during the holidays!

Best wishes,
Andy

Hi,
I was wondering whether there was some updates regarding the slowness issue, do we know if it’s LispWorks related, or something else?
Thanks a lot,
Best,
Jimmie

Dear Jimmie,

Yes indeed. I have already ported OM to LW8 which supports native M1 processors. However, i still need an M1 machine to compile the image on it, in order to see if “slowness” will be corrected. I only still have a Mac Intel so i cannot say exactly how this will react. But in principle it should be OK. Just to be more precise:
There are two issues: the Monterey OS and the ARM M1 processor. Both are handled with the Lispworks vers 8. So let’s hope for something good. ASAP i will get my hands on an M1 mac and do the release.

Best
K

Hi Karim,

Thank you very much for the quick reply, and for the great (and huge) work.

Please don’t hesitate if you’d like that I do some beta-testing with my own configuration, I’d be happy to contribute in any way.

All best,

Jimmie

Thank you Jimmie for your proposal. For the time being it is not necessary to neta test, since i cannot deliver an image M1 native compatible, so it will not be very relevant. As soon as i compile, i will let you know.

Best
K