< Back to IRCAM Forum

Open Music and catart-mubu

I use catart-mubu, Catoracle, CataRT Standalone and OMax, primarily for improvisation. Are there reasons I should learn Open Music?

Is there a way to harness bach to catart-mubu achieve some of the same purposes as Open Music? Has anyone tried this? Please share your experience and perhaps your patches.

Dear Glenhall,

1- “I use catart-mubu, Catoracle, CataRT Standalone and OMax, primarily for improvisation. Are there reasons I should learn Open Music?”

Well the answer to your question is somehow relative to what you are up to. OM is basically a non-realtime environment.

2-“Is there a way to harness bach to catart-mubu achieve some of the same purposes as Open Music? Has anyone tried this? Please share your experience and perhaps your patches.”

bach externals are mostly a port of some OM musical editors. They have been used with other max implemented programs such as Orchids. So maybe you can find a way to implement them. You should address this issue to the max community.

Best
Keep safe
K

Thanks for your advice. I understand that OM is usually used in non-realtime experimentation and composition. However, I saw a demonstration of it producing a realtime piano output. So, I was thinking perhaps an OM ‘module’ could improvise (within variable parameters) a “counter-voice” in a live performance situation. I thought it might be able to use samples from Orchids’ SOL library, so as to change voices as desired.

Would the type of application I described be best left to Max programmers or could the effect I’m looking for be achieved by someone familiar with OM?

Dear Glen,

My guess is that your best choice is to take a look on somax:

http://repmus.ircam.fr/somax/home

Best
K

Thanks for your suggestion. I use OMax extensively, but SoMax is best suited for improvisation with a recurring harmonic pattern, which is something I do only in a jazz setting. I have a band, so, in that circumstance, they do everything I need. With software, I am more involved with free improvisation, for which it is my understanding that SoMax is not designed. Nevertheless, I’m going to check it out.