< Back to IRCAM Forum

OMTristan and SPEAR

Hello fellow travelers,

I am hoping to get some help here. I am an OM newb. I do know Pd but am stuck with trying to create a patch on OM that will read an analysis file exported from SPEAR. Basically I am attempting to do what Michael Klingbeil outlined in his dissertation: “OM patch that reads SPEAR data, transforms the data, displays the transformed data in common practice notation, and writes out the transformed data to a new text file.”

I am attaching a PDF of the excerpt from his dissertation which also includes a picture of the patch. I just don’t know how to make it work or create it.
I have OM 6.5.1 and OMTristan 3.0 loaded onto Windows PC. Everything works I just can’t make this patch happen.

Any help will be VERY appreciated.
thanks!
Nick

Pages-from-Klingbeil_Dissertation_web.pdf (182 KB)

Hello Nick

I would advice to export from Spear in SDIF format and use the inbuilt SDIF-import tools in OM.
Here are some info :
http://support.ircam.fr/docs/om/om6-manual/co/SDIF-Read.html#ogN18c

… and to use a newer version of OM (you can have both versions installed in the same computer)

Jean

Thanks Jean! I’ll check it out.

And thank you for all your wonderful work with OM and your contributions computer-assisted composition. I am going to check out your books.
Would you happen to know anyone that teaches OM in Southern California?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Another OM newbie here. I agree with Jean, you’d probably do better with the built-in SDIF tools, they’re quite powerful. Also, I notice that the Klingbeil patch includes sub-patches (red patches), did you figure out how they’re made or were they described in the article too ?

You might want to consider the SuperVP and Pm2 libs.

I purchased both OM Composers books and the volume edited by Hirs & Gilmore. Those books aren’t tutorials but they are filled with valuable information about OM. Highly recommended to all students of OM.

Best,

dp

Hello all,

Had time to tinker on OM today, the SDIF built-in features are indeed what I am looking for.
I was able to analyze a sound with SDIF->chord-seq and I get a huge black mess of notes on the score.
I tried offsetting it and zooming in but I still can’t see it very well.

Is there a function that arpeggiates the notes so I can see them one by one?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Does anyone know how to use OMTristan’s distortion tool? I would appreciate a patch example!

Hi Nick,

Analysis files can provide a huge amount of data. You might want to apply a little reduction with SPEAR before exporting as SDIF. I use the Select Below Threshold and Select Below Duration functions, they can lighten the load considerably. You may also want to analyse your audio in shorter segments.

Take a look at the RepMus tutorial patch for partials tracking for another way to filter that mass of data. :slight_smile:

I haven’t looked at the distortion patch in OMTristan. Perhaps the Esquisse harm-dist is similar ?

Best,

dp