< Back to IRCAM Forum

OMQuantify - No Beaming Rules - Show Note Value

Hi!

Is it possible using omquantify or some other function to show the resulting duration of a tree in the voice object without any sort of beaming rules? For instance, 1/8 1/4 1/4 1/8 shows up as 1/8 1/8~1/8 1/8~1/8 1/8. (where ~ represents a tie.) I want to display 1/8 1/4 1/4 1/8 where no ties are used. I also do not need any measure divisions. For instance, if I have a tree that is 17 quarter notes worth of material long I am happy to return the voice object as one measure of 17/4.

I have a feeling that this has to do with the syntax of the created tree and I know that you all know more than I do!

Zagny - Methods of Transformation.omp (16.6 KB)

Dear Austin,

First, let’s state this: In Om there are no beaming rules per se. Beaming is a result of groups, groups being RT inside RT.

For instance, starting from a simple division of a measure:

we have no beams because the tree is just made of subdivisions. Here we have a tree including another tree of the same proportions, and therefore we get beaming because we have created a group:

Now, concerning omquantify. The quantification depends on the denominator of the time signature. So unfortunately, if you quantify using a 1/4 denominator, your quantification will have as a reference the quarter note. So in the case you have a half beat, you will get a tie, that’s what you are having. It is the internal structure of the rhythm trees. You can check this using mktree like this:
Screenshot_2023-02-19_11-05-54

Now in the case you are writing in 3/4, you may get this depending on the RT structure. In the first case you have a group, and therefore beaming (here it is invisible, but you may notice the straight stems), while in the second case, there is no beaming:
Screenshot_2023-02-19_11-06-47

In your case here, (and specifically here only), you can bypass this with:

the patch:
zagny - methods of transformation-1.omp (14.2 KB)

Of course considering you are always using simple proportion. No irrationals allowed or missing beats in the measure.

Hope this helps.
K

PS: a paper on RTs here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/4001313_Representation_and_Rendering_of_Rhythmic_Structures

1 Like