< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM7 linux ubuntu

Hello list !

I didn’t yet succeed in installing OM7 from github on linux ubuntu, I have not yet the LispWorks compiler for linux.
Is there any chance to run om7 on ubuntu without a LW compiler ?
I suppose Fedora prerelase v0.1.8 alpha (fedora) by Anders may not run on my linuxbox.
Any idea ?

Following, the output when starting from om7’s main branch on Linux frog 4.15.0-48-generic #51-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 3 08:28:49 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

git clone om7
cd om7
sudo make install

src/packages/timing/to-read.txt
src/packages/timing/write-stat-to-file.lisp

sent 4,117,864 bytes received 13,599 bytes 8,262,926.00 bytes/sec
total size is 11,693,842 speedup is 2.83
cd /home/fred/dev/openmusic/om7/om/resources/lib/linux && rsync -v -rlt
-z -C --include ‘*.so’ . /usr/local/lib64/openmusic
sending incremental file list
rsync: mkdir “/usr/local/lib64/openmusic” failed: No such file or
directory (2)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(675) [Receiver=3.1.2]
Makefile:50: recipe for target ‘install’ failed
make: *** [install] Error 11

All the best.
fred

Hi Fred. Sorry for the late reply.

om7 on Linux is not meant for usage atm, it is pre-alpha and solely for development. Please do not start sending bug-reports or missing issues etc.

Is there any chance to run om7 on ubuntu without a LW compiler ?
I suppose Fedora prerelase v0.1.8 alpha (fedora) by Anders may not run on my linuxbox.

The binary should run, but installing and packaging etc. is not done at all. You can try without installing anything, just type ./om7-alpha where it is located (in the root folder). The fonts and libs won’t be installed, but if you have a previous install - probably even OM6 - this might well work.

If you want to help develop om7 now you’ll need a working lisp compiler.

Hi fred. For a while now there has been beta releases available for om7 for linux (rpm, deb) here:

https://github.com/openmusic-project/om7/releases

I’ll upload new builds when things change. Please report back on issues. Thanks!

-anders

Hi,

I am on Fedora 28.
I have tried to install, via rpm, om7-beta-0.1-12-Linux.x86_64.rpm, but I receive an error, because incompatibility with installed om6 (installed by rpm, too).
Must I uninstall om6 before installing om7?

Ciao

fdsdb

Perhaps there are conflicting files? Please provide more info, listing of error messages etc, not sure what might be causing this.

-anders

Dear Anders,

Here is my terminal output, sorry for bold fonts:

[fabio@computer OM_linux_7]$ sudo dnf install om7-beta-0.1-12-Linux.x86_64.rpm
Ultima verifica della scadenza dei metadati: 2:43:50 fa il mer 28 ago 2019 08:42:39 CEST.
Dipendenze risolte.

pacchetto Arch Versione Repository Dim.

Installazione in corso:
om7-beta x86_64 0.1-12 @commandline 15 M

Riepilogo della transazione

Installati 1 pacchetto

Dimensione totale: 15 M
Dimensione installata: 89 M
Procedere [s/N]: s
Scaricamento dei pacchetti:
Esecuzione del controllo di transazione
Controllo di transazione eseguito con successo.
Test di transazione in corso
Errore: Errore nel controllo di transazione:
il file /usr/lib/.build-id/94/8751728c5d856aad848d31791aba3e8b5ffc12 dell’installazione di om7-beta-0.1-12.x86_64 entra in conflitto con il file del pacchetto openmusic-6.15-1.x86_64
il file /usr/lib/.build-id/a5/62675c944622d4714a6cfda3aff28f489df32e dell’installazione di om7-beta-0.1-12.x86_64 entra in conflitto con il file del pacchetto openmusic-6.15-1.x86_64
il file /usr/share/openmusic/build/build-om.lisp dell’installazione di om7-beta-0.1-12.x86_64 entra in conflitto con il file del pacchetto openmusic-6.15-1.x86_64
il file /usr/share/openmusic/resources/curs/resize-cursor.tif dell’installazione di om7-beta-0.1-12.x86_64 entra in conflitto con il file del pacchetto openmusic-6.15-1.x86_64
il file /usr/share/openmusic/resources/dspec-database.64ufasl dell’installazione di om7-beta-0.1-12.x86_64 entra in conflitto con il file del pacchetto openmusic-6.15-1.x86_64

Riepilogo errori

[fabio@computer OM_linux_7]$

Hi fabio, thanks for the description (guess i can understand that even in Italian :slight_smile: )

Yes, you’re right, there are conflicting files between the two packages, so at the moment you’ll have to uninstall OM6 to test om7 from the .rpm. Or you could grab the tar-ball, which includes the binary, and install with another prefix.

I’ll try to find out how to build a relocatable .rpm, but that will be for the next release.

-anders

Dear Anders,

Only as report: I have uninstalled OM6 and installed om7-beta, it installs and runs, at least for the few tests I have done. I am on Fedora 28. I had no way to test libraries (SuperVP and so on) because I have them not installed in Linux. Only a little not important particular: there is no automatic installation of a voice in Application menu (OM6 install an item in the sub-menu Programmazione - I suppose Programming in English version).

I have then erased om7-beta and reinstalled OM6 and I can confirm, if useful, that last version, for Fedora 29, runs also in Fedora 28.

I hope these reports can be somehow useful and in next om7 version there will be the possibility to have both versions installed.

Thank you for your very good work, Best

Fabio

Hi Fabio. Thanks alot for your feedback!

-anders

Hello,
Thank’s for the OM7.deb :slight_smile:
Just for info, I would prefer to install OM7 on my ubuntu box without uninstalling OM6 since I need both to update libs and patches as I do on OSX.
Two questions:

• is that possible to compile om7-beta using some free LW (such as personnal edition - wich is 32 bits V. 6 - or Hobbyist version (which is 64 bits and v. 7) ?
  • if not, is that possible to make OM7 linux install in /usr/local instead of /usr to avoid incompatibilties with OM6 ?

Hi Fred.

(First, there’ll be a new release out tomorrow with quite many enhancements, esp. for the linux builds).

Haven’t checked the Hobbyist version myself, but AFAIK it should compile the sources and run fine with om7. You won’t be able to save ‘deliverables’, but that shouldn’t be any problem for personal usage.

The Personal edition, if limited to 32 bit, won’t allow any of the necessary libs (.so) to be loaded in (no sound, midi…). Also, I think attempting to compile om7, which is a large project, will quickly hit the limits on heap-size, forcing you to quit and restart many times to get sources compiled initially, and probably slow down.

is that possible to make OM7 linux install in /usr/local instead of /usr to avoid incompatibilties with OM6 ?

This should be doable, at least using the tar-ball or zip-archive, just change the PREFIX variable in the top-level Makefile (linking to om/build/linux/Makefile.dist)

With .rpm’s, it’s possible to set up relocatable binary packages, Not sure how to do that with .deb’s. If anyone here knows how to do this, please chime in.

-anders

…sorry, that should read “The Personal edition, if limited…” - corrected in the post now.

Anyway Hobbyist version is not free, it’s half the price of commercial edition.