< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM7.2 crashes on Ubuntu Jammy

I just installed OM7.2 with .deb relase from git repo: I dpkg the .deb from this git repo: Releases · openmusic-project/openmusic · GitHub.
I was expecting that 7.2 stable than 7.1.
After many troubles that could be considered as ‘details’ when I force myself to work on it, I finally catch this error just after changing the background colors of my patchess and moving its window - hum 'cause on Linux the OM listener print white on white by default and such preferences are never saved (and never have been saved when reloading the WS :(((

frog% X-IO-ERROR on ":1 {Lispworks}" : Fatal IO error 11 ("Ressource temporairement non disponible") Xlib: request 8 length 36 would exceed buffer size.
Xlib: request 14 length 8 would exceed buffer size.
Xlib: request 40 length 16 would exceed buffer size.

Error: Segmentation violation(11) [code 0] at 7F65C68AC6A1
        Foreign code offset #x71 from symbol "XTranslateCoordinates"
        module "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6" [ #x7F65C6866000 ]
rax            0 ; rbx            0 ; rcx 7F65C82B4A6F ; rdx            0
rsp 7F6595792AD0 ; rbp            0 ; rdi 7F65B804FA70 ; rsi 7F6595792AE0
r8            35 ; r9  7F6595790826 ; r10            0 ; r11          293
r12          208 ; r13      782F156 ; r14 7F65B804FA70 ; r15 7F6595792B70
  1 (continue) Remove display-callback from #<patchpanel  42101AAE93>
  2 (abort) Return to event loop.

Type :b for backtrace or :c <option number> to proceed.
Type :bug-form "<subject>" for a bug report template or :? for other options.

I’m sorry for now I prefer to go back to good old OM6 on good old OSX 10.8.5 to avoid loosing time when the show must go on soon !

frog% uname -a
Linux frog 5.15.0-73-generic #80-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 15 15:18:26 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Bests.

I just did an effort to make a patch to answer to fz103 about recursion in OM for some markov loop, but I jist got this, again and again, works never more than 2 minutes, I can just do nothing, sorry. Did OM7.2 debian release has been tested ?

Capture d’écran du 2023-06-21 23-23-22

No really we never test anything. We just release stuff for fun.
Please do go back to OM 6 on mac.

best
K

Thank you Karim for this clear answer, I understand better. Sorry to have no time for testing and reporting all the errors that could be encountered on Linux distro.
A suggestion could be to not release a debian package if the basic functionnalities where not tested but just the source code for the ones who have the Lispworks compiler to make the whole fun.
Bests.

All our packages are of course tested.
The debian package works well on all debian based distributions.
If you don’t know how to use it please refer to Debian’s or in your case Ubuntu’s guide for dummies:
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/fr/man1/dpkg.1.html

If you encounter a problem, please do state the problem in English preferably, and as clearly as possible.

Thank you for using OM
Best regards

Hum, not sure to know where is the joke.
I’m using OM for 25 years and Debian for 20 years so I may know that I know how to use both.
OM701/7.2 are the only softwares even in dev stat that are not running properly more than 2 minutes on my linux boxes (it could be 5 or 10 which make more time wasting).
So why not considering my report that OM7.x debian realeases are not working more than two minutes without crashing whatever I try to do with in basic user mode (editing a patch, changing the prefs, moving a window, editing a lisp box, etc) ?
I posted a fatal X-IO error at the top of this thread which make me think that it’s not related to OM lisp code but to the Lispworks compiler.

No joke.
If you want to have an answer please be more clear.
First can you forward us with these info:

1. echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
  2. gcc --version.
  3. what is “FauneAuCanal-OM”.
  4. how do you launch OM is it thru the desktop icon or from terminal.
  5. WHEN do the fatal error happen exactly?

Best
K

Great idea, so as not to waste everybody else’s time in here as well