< Back to IRCAM Forum

Om2csound basic problem

Hi, just a quick question. I still haven’t figured out how to get OM-Prisma running, and for the time being, I’m learning how to use OM2Csound and OMChroma.

OMChroma has a function called chroma-prisma for basic spatialization. What I’d like to know is, is there anyway to do dynamic spatialization with this tool, or does it only pan notes at the i-rate? In line with this question, can I find specific documentation for the “synthesize” tool somewhere? It seems there are a lot of extra keyword functions (like maybe dynamic panning?) that I’m having a hard time deciphering.

Thanks in advance,
Michal

Dear Michal,

I suggest to post this on the OMChroma discussion. Because, it is not related specifically to synthesisze which is a very general function. The chroma-prisma spatialization is specific to omprisma which s not updated at all (i suggest to contact the author)

Best
K

1 Like

Dear Michal,

You raise an important issue, which is the spatialisation in sound synthesis. OMPrisma was written by Marlon Schumacher to address this issue in a very exhaustive and extremely powerful way. However, it is mainly his work and, to my knowledge, it has not been updated for a while.
Until then, there are two main issues regarding spatialising a sound from inside, that is during its synthesis: how many channels one needs and if the space is dynamic or static.
While there is no general agreement regarding the first issue, the second can lead to a granular spatialisation (static placement of short sounds yielding the impression that a sound moves) or to a dynamic one (the sound itself moves during its synthesis).
Give the lack of agreement, the quickest solution for you would probably be to write a Csound orchestra that fits to your needs, then generate a OMChroma class from it (through “get-instrument”, which is relatively well documented). I took away the non-mono orchestras in OMChroma when OMPrisma was released, in order not to have hundreds of classes differing only from their number of channels, but one might think to put some back to the library, it this is needed.
I hope that this long reply may help you.
Best,
Marco

Dear Marco,

Thanks for your reply, and please excuse my delay in replying, I just returned from a 2-week camping trip and wasn’t using the internet. I’ve figured out how to do static spatialization (at least in a simple way), but it would be interesting to do something with dynamic spatialization. I also recently discovered the ‘make instrument’ function, and I’m planning to try it out this week. To be honest, though, my understanding of spatialization in CSound is pretty dim, as I’m still learning the software. I’ve managed to create some interesting stereo effects more or less by accident though, that don’t make use of the spatialization opcodes at all.

If you might be willing to make some of the other (stereo) libraries available, I would be very grateful.

best,
Michal

P.S. I wrote to Mr. Schumacher but I’m not sure if he received my message, so for the time being Chroma is off the table.