< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM on Windows 10 - Bootcamp

Hi!
I’m hoping to get OM working on Windows 10 on my Mac (installed with Bootcamp). It seemed to install just fine, but when launched I get an error “Something wrong calling functions from OMAudiolib: /Windows/system32/OMAudioLib.dll” I can click OK out of this dialog, but when I try to create a new workspace, after I click Save, I get a foreign function error ("juice::|%cffi-foreign-function/OPENAUDIOMANAGER|trying to call unresolved external function “openAudioManager”), then OM quits.

Has anyone had success getting OM running on a Bootcamp install?
I’m on OS 10.14.6, Windows 10, using OM 6.16, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).
OM is installed on BOOTCAMP (C:), no anti-virus, with admin privileges.

Maybe it’s the BOOTCAMP part of the drive name?

Thanks!
Per

Hi,

Can you be more specific on the OSes you are using (WIN, MAC),
and what machine (processor) you have.

Best
K

Hi Karim,
Sure: it’s a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
I swapped out the original drive for a 500 GB SSD
Mac OS: Mojave 10.14.6
Windows: 10 Home, 64-bit, build 19041.329

Does that cover it? Thanks for the help!
Per

Dear Per,

Thanx for the details.
Well, this could be most certainly an issue with the cpu emulation of bootcamp.
The omaudiolib compilation on JUCE, is not compatible with old processors. Although you have an i7 cpu which is indeed compliant by default, it could be that the bootcamp emulates an older cpu (celeron like), which is unfortunately not compatible wiht the compiled lib. This issue has been addressed by windows users already. We should recompile the lib in order to be more compliant with most cpus. Unfortunately, for the time being, we don’t have at hand a Windows PC availble to do so. But soon we will get on it.

By the way, I am curious, why don’t you use the Mac version of OM on your Mac. You will not encounter this problem.

Best

K

Ah, too bad! I suspected it wasn’t going to be an easy fix.
I do use the Mac version for myself. This week I’m teaching an online intro to OM workshop as part fo the SPLICE Institute. I know of at least one person who will be on Win, so thought it might be helpful to have it up and running to deal with install issues.

Which brings me to my next question: installing a player in Win. I believe R-udp-player is recommended for Win as well, no?

My question is about the fluidsynth externals. R-upp-player comes with fluidsynth~.mxo, but that won’t work on Win, right? I couldn’t find fluidsynth~.mxe, but perhaps I’m looking for the wrong thing?

Dear Per,

If this somebody has a win7, or even a recent machine (i5, i7) on windows 10, this will not be a problem.

Now concerning the midi and fluid. On windows, om will play automatically on windows media player. Ok, this i not fantastic, but it renders well. Now concerning midi on mac, there has been a discussion about this regarding Catalina. Here:
What to use for OM 6.16 when "SimpleSynth" does not work in macOS Catalina interface?

Best
K

Dear Karim,

Thank you for the tips about windows media player Catalina. The workshop was great, and those tips were very helpful!
Best,
Per