< Back to IRCAM Forum

Om-Chant and M1 Machines compatibility?

Hello,

One of our students at the HMDK Stuttgart has a problem with the Chant synthesis. I couldn’t understand the issue. I gave her the library folder that I am using(the latest release) but doesn’t seem to work. She has an M1 machine. Is this the reason for the problem?
Could you please assist? Please find the error message attached.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Bengisu

ChantFehler.txt (1.0 KB)

HI Estudio,

It seems this is a chant error and not an OM error and most probably that the binary isn’t M1 compatible. I will contact the Chant dev team and try to find the correct one.

Thank you for reporting this.

Best Regards
K

Dear Karim,

Thank you very much for your reply. We are looking forward to the correct version for M1.

Best regards,

Bengisu

Dear Bengisu,

I have released a new version of the library here which has the chant binary compatible with both Intel and M1 Apple processors:

Best
K

Hi Karim,

I’ve installed OM-Chant 3.2 and I have this error

Best,

Jerome

Hello Jerome,

this is not an error. This is simply because the chant binaries are not “notorized”.
Please:

1. Go to system preferences/security
  2. choose to use “chant”
  3. then again do the same with “libsndfile”

Once you do that, it will work.
A re-writing of OM-Chant is necessary in the future in order to use notorized libraries.
This doesn’t happen with Linux nor windows versions.

Best
K

Hi K,

I’m on ventura, it has changed…

Best,

Jerome

Hi Jérôme,

Have you tried disabling the gatekeeper in Terminal? Command line: sudo spctl --master-disable.

To reenable it again: sudo spctl --master-enable.

All the best,
António

1 Like

Hi Antonio,

Yes, gatekeeper is disable. I just can’t open non-notorized app with Ventura,

Best,

Jerome

That’s good, I’ve find the button, it was just hidden

Hi Jérôme,

Weird, in macOS it’s the gatekeeper that blocks users from opening unnotarized apps at the system level. Once it’s disabled system-wide, you should be able to bypass quarantine and macOS shouldn’t block you from opening them.

This works up to macOS 12 Monterey at least, I don’t know if macOS 13 Ventura has added any extra security features. I hope not.

All the best,
António

Dear Antonio,

Disabling Gatekeeper allows you to open applications outside of Apple’s signed applications (App Store)

But recently, MacOS wants apps to be signed. Otherwise, it considers it dangerous, which was the case with Chant. In Ventura, the button that Karim mentioned is quite hidden. But I found it, so everything is fine.

@haddad OM-Chant seems to work fine but I didn’t need to “unlock” libsndfile as you mentioned, I’ve handled the library and everything works fine…normal ?

Best,

Jerome

Dear Jerome,

Yes this Apple weirdness is apparently normal :slight_smile:
Best
K

Hi,

Gatekeeper blocks users from opening unnotarized apps (you can’t notarize an app without signing it.) And signed apps don’t need to come from the App Store, developers only need to sign them with an Apple developer ID.

In any case, I’m glad Apple’s hypersecuritarianism didn’t get any worse with macOS 13 Ventura.

All the best,
António

Dear Karim,

Thank you so much for your quick help and for the new version of OMChant!

All my best,

Bengisu