< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM 6.12 Ubuntu 16.04 Midi Output Devices

Hi again,

…continue testing OM (OM_6.12-1.deb) in Ubuntu studio 16.04.2 LTS.

With the midi setup I got 2 issues:

The first one is routing OM directly to a device. Here’s how I reproduce the problem:

1. open a soft synth (for ex. Hexter)
  2. open OM, go to Preferences, MIDI (Default score Player: midi-player), open “PortMidi Setup” and in “Output Device” select “hexter dx7 emulation”. Press “apply” and close “PortMidi Setup”, then “apply” & “ok” in the preference panel. In OM Listener: OM > “PortMIDI :: OUTPUT port 0 => hexter DX7 emulation (v1.0.2)”
  3. Quit OM (save patches & workspace as usual)
  4. Quit Hexter
    (the problem starts now…)
  5. open a different soft synth (for ex. Phasex)
  6. open OM and follow the midi settings of step 2. In my case OM crashes every time I try to select other output device or even with the “refresh device” button.

Second problem, also with output devices in the PortMIDI Setup: if 2 or more devices share the same output label, then OM will always use the same device despite our selection. For ex. I launched 2 soft synths (Aeolus and Synthv1), both appear as “in” in the “output devices” menu of PortMIDI Setup. It doesn’t matter which one I select from both, OM will always use the first device labeled “in” of the output device list (in my case Aeolus).

Does somebody have any similar experience?
Opinions, suggestions or any kind of feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Rc

6. open OM and follow the midi settings of step 2. In my case OM crashes every time I try to select other output device or even with the “refresh device” button.
This works fine on my builds here, suggesting it's something outside OM. If you've got some messages while crashing, or a screen dump, someone might be able to help.
if 2 or more devices share the same output label
I see. OM trusts the name returned from portmidi - in the portmidi's PMDeviceInfo struct. Someone knows how to return client names/id's via portmidi's api?

Personally I normally connect OM to MidiThrough, and set up the studio outside (fex. with aconnect, qjackctl).