< Back to IRCAM Forum

OM 6.12 Ubuntu 16.04 Audio playback

Hi,

(I posted yesterday a similar message. Still don’t see it on the forum (it was quiet long), so I’m sorry if you receive duplicates)

I’m trying OM (OM_6.12-1.deb) in Ubuntu studio 16.04.2 LTS (clean install). Kudos to Anders & Team for this wonderful work!

While messing around with settings & stuff I found the following concerning audio playback.

Audio (without Jack): I tried some examples from the audio folder. The class “sound” played africa.aiff file immediately, even though the om listener showed the following message every time a sound file was played:
OM > “Warning: player engine :midishare not available for #<sound 41400DE45B> (will be played on :om-audio).”

Audio (with Jack): I wasn’t able to get sound until I found this: http://askubuntu.com/a/777136
(by default Ubuntu studio came with qjackctl & pulseaudio-module-jack pre-installed, but the command “pactl set-default-sink jack_out” was missing on the QjackCtl Setup). This enables Jack and PulseAudio/Alsa to work simultaneously (for ex. Jack with Firefox 52.0.1).
Again, om listener showed a similar message for every playback:
OM > “Warning: player engine :midishare not available for #<sound 41400DDAFB> (will be played on :om-audio).”

What’s the meaning of these warnings? is there a way to avoid them?

best regards,
Rc

Hello. This is somehow a silly (but harmless) warning.

OM used (a while ago) to consider “:midishare” as the default player for all musical objects (which does not make sense for sounds, for instance). So this default value for player was (and now remains) silently stored with the sound box with its other settings.
When you play the OM player checks whether the selected player in these box settings exists and is valid for this object : it is the case, it uses it, otherwise (as you experience now) it prints this warning and plays on the correct player for this object (in this case, :om-audio).

You can fix that I think, just changing the player for your sound box (or probably too, replacing it by a new sound box).
To change the player, go inside the editor and push the “speaker” button, or right-click on the sound box and select “Player” in the menu.

I hope this helps (and works)