< Back to IRCAM Forum

Notes accumulation

Hi
could you suggest me ways to accumulate progressively notes within bars?
For example I have 20 bars, same metrics, as minimum unit a quintuplet sixteenth notes. There’s a way to accumulate these notes progressively in bars?
Would be the best if there were the possibility to change every time the metrics (also within different metrics) and the minimun values notes.
Do you have in mind which objects could be right for me?
please help, I have the mind in lockdown too
best
k

Hi Kontakte,

Please could you elaborate more on this question, by giving a concrete example on what you mean by “accumulation” regarding notes?

Best
K

Sure, thanks Karim!

the easiest example (see pic in attach):
Suppose I have in mind a figure of 4 sixteenths as a target/reference.
Then we have 4 bars in 4/4 and we have to occupy these bars “progressively”
with this target (from a pitch reserve of n notes).

An abstraction of this probably will be: We have n bars with n metrics and we have to progressively occupy these n bars with n notes so that the last bars will contain all the notes of the target.

20201209_143315|690x147 .

Is more clear?
thanks anyway

Hi again,

Well here are some simple solutions:

The first is exactly what your sketch represents, ie. 4 bars of 1/4 (you can change the time signature if you want to 4/4) 4 iterations with a progressive linear rhythm subdivision:

The second solution is the same, but you designate the time signature you want, and accordingly, the iteration of subdivisions will be computed:

The patch:
kontakte.omp (19.1 KB)

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Best
K

That’s great, thanks!

but what if

1- I don’t want to change the rhythmic values of my target-reference.

2- I set the number of bars

Please look the pic in attach:
I have an eights quintuplet as a reference that must be distributed into 6 (or n) bars (in the case of my pic I have of course a repetition of one note in the first two bars

).

thanks for your help

Your example is not clear enough for me (sorry):

1. why the first two measures have just one note (not on the same beat) ?
  2. How do you decide to fill in the beats, (or what algorithm u use) to express the new beats ?

Just trying to understand your process. It is of course easy to do, if as Mr. Spock puts it, its logical :slight_smile:
Then you have a lot of ways to do this depending on your choice of algorithm.

Best
K

no problem

because if you have a quintuplet to be distributed in 6 bars obviously in one of these there will be repetitions (just as if a quintuplet were to be distributed over 8 bars you could have more than one repetition)…in this case it’s in the first measure but the repetition could be anywhere

It could be an nth-random on a tree

anyway thanks again
best
k

Ok here it is.
This will “fill up” randomly the gouped pulses. However, it will not repeat as in your example. There will be from 0 to n group pulses in a measure:

the patch:
kontakte2.omp (16.0 KB)

Best
K

1 Like

that’s great
thanks!