< Back to IRCAM Forum

Mubu.process chop overlapping segments

Hello all,

I am working on a project using corpus-based synthesis, which architecture is close to cataRT. I am currently using the chop algorithm for the segmentation of samples, and I wanted to know if there is a way to segment the samples with a sweeping process / by overlapping them ?
For example, if I choose a chop.size of 100ms and my sample is 1000s long, I wish that the algorithm could be able to analyse 100 segments instead of 10 if I can choose an “overlapping factor” of 10.
The algorithm would analyse these segments : 0-100ms, 10ms-110ms, 20ms-120ms, … instead of 0-100ms, 100-200ms, …

Thanks !
Ryo

Hi Ryo, chop by default can not overlap segments,
but you can achieve this using a very large window (which becomes the segment) and not use chop.
Another workaround would be to analyse each sound 10 times with varying chop.offset.
HTH

Thank you for your fast reply !
As you mention, I also thought that the several analysis iterations and varying the chop.offset would be a solution, but I am not sure how to practically do this.
Let’s say I have 100 samples to analyse 10 times.

1. If I readappend all my samples 10 times in the same track, is it possible to process them differently according to their buffer position ? (0 to 99 with offset 0ms, then 100 to 199 with offset 10ms, and so on…)
  2. As I am using a mubu.knn object to later select the segment based on their descriptor analysis values (as cataRT), I am not sure if I can separate the analysis iterations across several tracks (and processing them separately).
    (btw is there a way to readappend folders ?)

you need to script this, set bufferindex to the new buffer, set offset, then start process and loop

this is easy by marking the offset in the bufferinfo, or add :const to mubu.process to access it as a descriptor

readfolder