< Back to IRCAM Forum

Mubu.play~ backward?

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible for mubu.play~ to play backwards. Region play with the numbers reversed does not work.

Thanks in advance.

Best, Hans.

did you try negative speed?

mubu.play~ (negative speed)? Is that an attribute? I don’t see it.

Ah, right, that’s for non-signal mubu.play only, sorry.
You could achieve reverse play with mubu.granular~'s transparent playback mode.
Otherwise, it could become a new feature.

Hi Diemo - you mentioned negative speed works for non-signal mubu.play. Trying to implement playing in reverse with mubu.play for MIDI but not having any luck. Any ideas?

Sorry, I was mistaken, speed seems to be limited to >= 0. You could implement reverse play with a phasor/ramp using the get*index/getmatrix messages to mubu.track.

Thanks, Diemo! Much appreciated. My setup is now:

phasor*containersize = time

time (ms)
|
|
getindex $1

index (from mubu.track)
|
|
getmatrix $1

My problem now is that mubu.track will only return the first index found at a particular timestamp using the getindex message.

With my MIDI data, there are chords, so there is sometimes more than one note stored at the same time! LOL. So when receiving the index, and feeding this to a getmatrix message, my chords are monophonic.

Is the problem with the way I am storing these chords in the container?

Cheers,

Ben

This is getting really interesting, thanks!
You’d have to query the index range between i = getindex t and j = getnextindex t + epsilon and loop over i … j - 1. However, at this point of complexity, I wonder if this is not a good sign that we should implement reverse play…