< Back to IRCAM Forum

modeling feedback loops with Modalys

Hi I am currently working with tam-tams (Chinese gongs of no definite pitch, without the central dome). I am using an acoustic feedback loop to excite the tam-tam.
That is to say, there is a directional mike 3 cms from the center of the gong on one side of it, and a big subwoofer on the other side of it, same distance.
In short, I can control and automate the level of gain (and the characteristics of a low-pass filter) I apply between the mike and the loudspeaker.
I would like to model the whole process in Modalys to have a better understanding of the spectra I am getting at various gain levels.

1. My main concern is to model that feedback loop and the interaction between the subwoofer and the tam. Has anyone already implemented this ?
    (Note that the initial excitation is always given by the vibration of the air around the tam, as absolute silence does not exist, or even ground vibrations transmitted by the frame)

2. Less critical : has anyone already done a mesh for a tam that takes into account the little bumps on the surface (those bumps have structural importance has they are responsible for the exchanges of energy between the lower and higher spectrum of the tam)

Looking forward to reading you !

All the best

Hi Jean-François,

Better late than ever…

It’s easy to emulate the same process using a sound file controller and an 'force connexion. Here is an example with a mono-string object:

modalys_sound_ex.zip (1.8 MB)

All the best !

Jean