< Back to IRCAM Forum

Max 6.1.8 & Chromax

Hi! I’ new in this group!

I have always used Chroma with Max 5. Now I have Max 6.1.8 and Chroma doesn’t work any more…

I can open Chroma and even choose Sound File to play. When I hit Play, I can see the Original Spectrum but no Output spectrum and I can’t hear anything… I change the controls to see what happens but nothing…

Audio Status checked: It’s ON

File Preferences checked: The path is there

I can only hear a big “Bump!” when I turn the Audio ON and OFF.

The Max Window says:

pictslider: can’t find file cubaseTrack.pct

pictslider: can’t find file cubaseKnob.pct

pictslider: can’t find file wfknob.pct

pictslider: can’t find file wfmodes.pct

And when I close the Chroma Window:

chromax - buffer sd1_del has become invalid!

chromax - buffer sd1_fb has become invalid!

chromax - buffer sd1_fb has become invalid!

I would be very grateful for any help. I always loved Chroma!

Chroma.png

I assume from your message that you are refering to the Chromax object and its Spectral Delay example.

I just checked the package with Max 6.1.8 and everything works fine.

From your message, I can asure you that your FILE PREFERENCE is not correct since for some reason some of the files can not be found. Goto FILE PREFERENCES again and check the path and make sure that the SUBFOLDERS toggle is ON (so that it’d go into sub-folders as well).

If problem persists, send me the Chromax version (compilation date). I assume that you have the latest version of the object (from January 2014). Note that older Chromax objects are incompatible due to changes in Max core for buffer handling (see this post for more details).

Ooops!

No, I have this Chroma: Chromax_Forum2011… Sorry I didn’t know about the new one…

The path is OK and Subfolders toggle is ON.
I’m sure it was the old version…
Where can I download the new one?

Thank you!

Chromax is part of Max Sound Box. Latest version of the entire package can be downloaded from here:

http://forumnet.ircam.fr/shop/en/forumnet/53-max-sound-box.html

Thank you!
I have downloaded the “MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6” and placed in my Max Folder. Then I went to the File Preferences and added the path (Subfolders toggle ON).
Again, I can open the “SDChromax-max6.maxhelp” but I can’t hear anything…

The Max Window says:

chromax: unable to load object bundle executable
2014-08-10 15:20:39.076 Max[497:20b] Error loading /Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents/MacOS/chromax: dlopen(/Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents
/MacOS/chromax, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents/MacOS/chromax: unknown required load command 0x80000022

The same with “SFChromax_01.maxpat” Am I doing something wrong?

File-Preferences.jpg

Please replace the Chromax.mxo in that folder with the one attached to this post and let us know.

chromax-OSX-July2014.zip (54.1 KB)

Hi! Thank you for the file. It was very tiny (164 kb) while the old one was bigger (648 kb).
Anyway, it doesn’t work. I still receive the same message in the Max Window:

2014-08-11 18:46:19.416 Max[584:20b] Error loading /Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents/MacOS/chromax: dlopen(/Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents
/MacOS/chromax, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents/MacOS/chromax: unknown required load command 0x80000022

And there is still no output, neither sound nor spectrum.

Or, should I perhaps move the externals folder to other place?

I send you here also the picture of the Chroma window. Is there anything wrong?

Chroma.jpg

Jorgé… What is your OS? (10.5? 10.6?)

Does anyone else here have problems loading Chromax object in Max 6.1.8?

Hmmm… I still have 10.5.8 (I know, very old, but my computer is also 5 years old).

But with this OS I had no problems using Chromax with Max 5 and Max 6.1.7! It was with the update to Max 6.1.8 that Chromax didn’t worked any more.

There is also another object (maxurl.mxo) which the same problem has…

Your error with loading Chromax is related to using 10.5!

Replace the Chromax.mxo file with the one attached to this post and let me know if it works now. I reduced compatibility to 10.5. But know that there is no garantee that it’d completely work. Apple is to blame. You should also be aware that most softwares no longer support 10.5 these days. Worse, starting next year Apple is going to set the base standard on 10.8! This is very cubersome for us developpers and we try to bypass it all the time!

chromax-10.5.zip (53.8 KB)

I know… I’m having problems with many other applications. But until now Max was still safe…

So, I’ve just tried this new “chromax.mxo” but it’s still the same: No output sound. If I hit “Dry” I can hear the original sound but 100% wet produces no sound and no output spectrum…

But the message from Max Window is different now:

loadbanger v.20070117 Copyright)1998-2007 Takahiko Suzuki
2014-08-12 12:45:18.138 Max[195:20b] Error loading /Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents/MacOS/chromax: dlopen(/Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents
/MacOS/chromax, 262): Symbol not found: _ZNSo9_M_insertIdEERSoT
Referenced from: /Applications/Max 6.1/Max Routinen/MaxSoundBox-2014-01-Max6/externals/chromax.mxo/Contents/MacOS/chromax
Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

I observed also that the “; sd1_chroma states” box doesn’t work. It still worked with this Max but my old Chromax version (2011).

Here is the dilemma:

If you use Max 6.1.4+ you’d need the latest chromax object (due to changes in Max SDK).
If you use 10.5 you’d need old Chromax object, meaning you should down-grade Max!

For Chromax (and other objects which employ buffers atleast), it is impossible to have both!

If you upgrade your OS atleast to 10.6, it should solve your problem. But be aware that next year the base is going to be set (as rumours say) to 10.8!

OK, I understand… I am thinking of buy a new computer at all…

Could I run two versions ox Max? I mean full Max 6.1.8 and perhaps Max 5 Runtime? So I could use Chromax at least…

Another question: Supposing I have a new computer with Max 6.1.8 and I want to run the ForumMaxApps but not all. Only the SoundBox one. Do I need to install something else? The original MaxSoundBox I suppose but something else?

Could I run two versions ox Max? I mean full Max 6.1.8 and perhaps Max 5 Runtime? So I could use Chromax at least…

Technically you can. However if you do this for Chromax and SpectralDelay. You should use the old Chromax object + the Max5 versions of the patch on Max5. Again: This is only due to changes in Max: (1) buffer management changed since 6.1.4. and (2) in Max5 you don’t have Gen (so the Max6 folder patches won’t work).

Another question: Supposing I have a new computer with Max 6.1.8 and I want to run the ForumMaxApps but not all. Only the SoundBox one. Do I need to install something else? The original MaxSoundBox I suppose but something else?

You won’t need to install anything except Max ofcourse. But you’d need to re-authorize objects for the new machine once following procedures here.

OK! I’ll try it with Max 5 + Old Chromax object & patch.
Thank you for your help!