< Back to IRCAM Forum

Mapping frequency values on a bpf curve

Hi all,
taking the voice>bpf-markers in the OMScoreTools library as a model, which maps expressed rhythm onsets on a bpf curve, I’m wondering how it’s possible to do the same for pitches, i.e. how to map frequency values on a bpf curve.

Here you have an example of the bpf and the horizontal frequency values that should be mapped on it
mapping horizontal pitch values on a bpf.omp (153.8 KB)
Thanks for your kind attention, as usual.
best regards,
Francesco Vitale

Dear Francesco,

I don’t know if this is want you are asking for, but you should take a look on the 04-bpf-tools-2. microphonie transcribes pitch and rhythm all together:

the patch:
04-bpf-tools-2 2.omp (11.0 KB)

or maybe you want something else, because i don’t get “horizontal pitch values” …

Best
K

Dear Karim,

thanks for your reply. I will take a look at the “microphonie” object, but I’m not sure that if it works for what I’m looking for. As for the horizontal pitch values, I meant a bpf-lib obtained from a list of pitches (like the ones stored in a “chord” object). If voice->bpf-markers maps the onsets (rendered as vertical lines or “time markers”) on a bpf curve, what I’d need to do is to map the pitches (here rendered as horizontal lines or “frequency markers”) on a bpf curve.
The frequency mapping then should be used to cut the bpf curve into spectral bands, with the algorithm used for Extracting multiple segments out of a bpf with markers (or a slightly modified version of it). The final result should look like this:

I hope this is a little bit clearer now. Sorry if I’ve been too elliptic.
Best,
Francesco

Without your patch, i cannot say if this is possible, and beside i cannot say how your horizontal frequencies representation is set in the BPF (logarithmically, linearly, etc.)

Best
K

Dear Karim,
sorry for the late reply. Here’s a little patch with the horizontal pitches (the “frequency markers”) and the curve to be cut according to them. The horizontal frequencies are in Hz.
spectral-bands-01.omp (77.2 KB)

Dear Francesco,

Sorry for this late reply. I had to finish up things.
Here is a solution to your problem:

and the patch that comes along:
bpf-slicer.omp (40.8 KB)

Notice, i had to work out your problem with simpler elements. I am sure you can adapt this to your taste :slight_smile:

Best
K

Dear Karim,
your patch it’s nothing short of miracolous: it is really ahead of my technical skills and it solved a problem that gave me some hard time. It would be nice to have a feature like that in the future OMScoreTools updates. Thanks again with all my gratitude.
Cheers,
Francesco

De niente, dear Francesco.

I will see if i can do something more general and include it either in Om or in the library.

Best
K