< Back to IRCAM Forum

Layering

Dear all,

I’ve built a patch that will nest proportions inside values; how can I repeat the whole process to subdivide the values even further? So that it nests inside of nests…
nesting 1.0.omp (89.5 KB)

Hi,

You can use the subst-rhythm method (in Score-> Trees).
Take a look at the help-> trees

Best
K

1 Like

Dear Karim,

Many thanks.

A few further questions, if I may:

1. The ‘car’ pulls out the first voice of the poly, yes? How can I extract subsequent voices? I haven’t had much luck with om-first, second etc. …

2. Is there a way to have the subst-rhythm super-impose the next voice from the poly onto (x) voice in question?

3. Have I missed something in getting the compr/expan function to work? It tells me that I’m not working with numbers…

4. How can I build a patch that sub-divides the whole voice into a single duration unit if the unit is under or over (x) seconds long?

Many thanks for all you do.

Best,

Hamish
nesting 1.0.1.omp (39.4 KB)

Dear Hamish,

1. omloop is your friend here (just an example):

2. didn’t get this question.

3. this is from another topic no?

4. New topic.

Please Hamish can you dispatch your questions in related topics. If I answer all of them here, no one can understand the threads…

Best
K

Dear Karim,

Many thanks.

1. Forgive my not understanding – to what are you attaching the omloop?

2. If the first voice is built from [(19 20 (16 (5 20 5) 18) 20 20 18)], what function/loop will, in a way, ‘cycle’ through the second mapper (below the mapping_function)?

Are you able to attach this to the patch?

Questions 3 and 4 are now separate topics, sorry about this.

Best,
Hamish

Sorry,

1. Here:

2. Didn’t get exactly the question here. Maybe if you express what you want to do at the start, and maybe if you “breakdown” your problem into separate small problems, you might have something more efficient. Your “mapping function” in itself is correct. But maybe you intend to do something else. Please try first to simplify your problem, then we might understand your intentions.

Best
K