< Back to IRCAM Forum

ISiS on a newer system

@beller @roebel
Hi Greg, Axel
I have downloaded ISiS 1.2.9 in order to play around with it and try a few things out.
My Mac is quite new (M2, Sonoma 14.3.1) so this hasn’t been straightforward.
I think I have got around the more recent changes to MacOS security settings (by clicking ‘Allow Anyway’ 150+ times as each script is called for the first time…), but I also got a message stating that libmkl_rt.dylib is damaged, forcing me to move it to the trash.
Then when I try to create a test output, as per the documentation, by entering isis.sh -o defsong.wav in bash I get the following lines at the end of the log:

PaN voiced synthesis
#################################################
/Applications/ISiS_V1.2.9/ISiS/ISiS::received exception::module ‘sig_proc.spec.fft’ has no attribute ‘irfft’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “Chant/singing_engine/isis.py”, line 520, in main
File “Chant/singing_engine/isis.py”, line 106, in sing_main
File “Chant/singing_engine/concatSynthEngine/panSynthesisEngine/synthEngine.py”, line 693, in synth
File “Chant/singing_engine/concatSynthEngine/panSynthesisEngine/pan_synth_seq.py”, line 451, in synth_glottal_pulse_sequence
File “sig_proc/spec/min_max_phase.py”, line 46, in spec_2_min_phase
AttributeError: module ‘sig_proc.spec.fft’ has no attribute ‘irfft’

Is there anything I can do to fix whatever is missing here? I should say that I’ve only downloaded the EL library so far (and made it the default) but it doesn’t look to me like this is a factor…

Many thanks
Jonathan

Dear Jonathan,

thanks for asking. ISiS 1.2.9 uses a special intel library for faster FFT calculation, but this library (the one you removed) uses special instructions that the intel emulator (I think it is called Rosetta) cannot translate. So V1.2.9 does not work on the machines running with ARM processors.

I don’t know whether you heard our presentation in the last Forum workshop about two weeks ago. We have announced a new version (1.3.0) for which we have a native version for the ARM processors. For the moment, this version has not yet received much testing, but I am relatively confident that it works better than 1.2.9 (can hardly be worse for ARM :wink: ) and so I foresee publishing this new version over the next few days.

On a side note, we have a dedicated ISiS category where I will announce the release. It would be better to ask questions about ISiS there because other users interested in ISiS would benefit from your question.

All the best
Axel

1 Like