< Back to IRCAM Forum

IrcamAlign - Deviated Question

Hi Axel,

This statement about ircamAlign in the documentation :

Files with tag XSAMPA at the end contain content in XSAMPA international phonetic code
and time positions in seconds.

… makes me wonder if I can use IrcamAlign to convert lyrics, a TEXT files to a XSAMPA file, in order to use it with ISiS ? It would be very handy !

Thanks

N.

Dear Nadirb

yes you can. ircamAlign even comes with a little additional script that only does the conversion from text into XSAMPA that is called lia_text2xsampa and that you can call like this

lia_text2xsampa -t txtfile.txt

It displays the various steps of translations it does and finally displays the text in XSAMPA. To simplify this use case I just uploaded a new version 1.1.8 that supports specifying an output file like this

lia_text2xsampa -t txtfile.txt -o txtfile.xsampa

If you use -the -o flag you get the same intermediate messages but the final XSAMPA format is stored into the file you have specified.

Best

1 Like

Hi Axel,

Wonderful ! Let’s try this feature ! I have to install ircamAlign first…

Thank you !

Best

N.

Hi @Axel,

thanks for sharing that.
I guess Lia_text2xsampa could also be used as a text / lyrics pre-processor for ISiS

Greg

Hello Greg

I don’t quite understand the question. The point of the message was that you can use this to facilitate text to Xsampa conversion. But such a conversion cannot be done fully automatic within ISiS. You probably know liaphon ? It was created for spoken text and does not look at the score. But ISiS would need to take care of the score as well, which means it may need to repeat a phoneme, remove a silence, pronounce a silent e or other subtleties that are not taken care of in lia_text2xsampa. So while this script goes a long way, most of the time you will need to correct things.

Axel

Hi @roebel,

I was just mentioning that this script can also be used to convert lyrics to Xsampa. Of course you’re right that this is only a start to the composition work and that the result of the conversion still has to be arranged manually.

Best