< Back to IRCAM Forum

Importing sound libraries in v. 0.9.2

Hi all,
I installed Orchids 0.9.2 on my iMac running the OS 10.8.6. I’ve chosen to feed to Orchids the older and full SOL (see image 1), which, if I’m not mistaken, corresponds to the UVI Ircam Solo Instruments library (also present on my computer). After 16 hours of computation (!) the database seems ready (see image 2). Thus, I have two questions for you:

1. Did I do something wrong, given that here on the forum it was strongly recommended to use the new (but also poorer) SOL?
  2. If I want to install new sound libraries (as .wav files) for the databases, like the XSample Chamber Ensemble library, or the VSL Horizon solo strings (or even the Vienna Symphonic Orchestra), is it possible to do so, and what are precisely the steps to do that? The info sheet for the 0.9.2 release seems to me a little too vague about this topic. Thanks for your hard work.
    All the best,
    Francesco Vitale

orchids11.png

I also have to add that, relaunching Orchids for the first time after having parsed the database and built the explorer with the full SOL, as said in my previous post the application now seems stuck on a “constructing note” operation, and the wheel in the upper right keeps spinning forever (see screenshot): why? Thanks for your kind attention.
Best,
Francesco

orchids3.png

I deleted and reinstalled Orchids (by putting it in the Application folder), but the problem is always there. And not only the “constructing note” issue, but also the fact (showed in the screenshot of the previous message) that the Info and the Orchestration criteria windows (as all the other windows in the application) are nearly void! Please tell me what it’s happening, because I don’t have a clue about it.
Best,
Francesco

Dear Francesco,

Wow thank you for testing something at this scale, I must admit that we never tried :slight_smile: … But in fact I am quite sure that the problem comes from a “clash” between identical sounds between the “new” and “old” versions of SOL, which leads to duplicate entries.

I would strongly recommend to stick with the new version of SOL, as we spend a long time “cleaning” the old one. So when we say “poorer” it is usually only because we removed sounds with illogical dynamics, playing style out of ranges etc… But the wide majority of the database is still there. If you still want to enhance the current database, I would rather recommend that you only add sounds (playing styles) that are not currently in the database (as the algorithm cannot decide between two identical instances).

All the best,
Philippe

Dear Philippe,
thanks for your reply. I noticed that feeding to Orchids the older and full SOL, all the sound files (during the 16 hours of computation!) have apparently been renamed according to the new conventions. At this time I have only one SOL on my computer (I deleted all the other versions), i.e. the older and full SOL, with all the sound files renamed. Shall I really trash it and download the new SOL?
Best,
Francesco

Dear Philippe,
as you said, with the new SOL everything now works. But my main question remains: to enhance the current database, I’d need to add folders that contain playing styles not contained in SOL. Suppose, as in the screenshot attached, that I want to add to the SOL violin folder all the VSL Horizon sample folders with the styles like “repetition fast”, “repetition slow”, “grace notes” or “octave glissandi”, etc…: what are precisely the steps to do that in the correct way?
Best,
Francesco

Vienna-left-and-SOL-right.png

Dear Francesco,

As explained (of course not extensively enough ^^) in the release notes, the best way is to start by
1 - Renaming all the samples following the Orchids naming convention :
Vn-harm_artificial-A#5-mf.wav
---
You can eventually add which chord for strings, and the mutes as well
2 - Put all samples from a particular playing style in a single folder named after this playing style
3 - Put all these folders into a single “Violin” folder

Then you can select the option to import directly a folder containing multiple playing styles for an instrument. However, you can not import multiple instruments at once. I would recommend to use some form of scripting to make your life easier :slight_smile:

All the best,
Philippe

Thanks Philippe.
Another thing that it’s not explained is: must the “violin” folder be used as an external user sounds folder, distinct from SOL, or can I add the “repetition fast”, “repetition slow”, “grace notes” or “octave glissandi”… subfolders to the SOL “violin” subfolders?
All the best,
Francesco

Dear Francesco,

If you add your own folders to the original “violin” in SOL and then drag&drop the whole thing, the software will re-analyze all samples ! So I would rather recommend that you create your own “User” family folder (eventually in the SOL folder), that you can then manage as you prefer.

All the best,
Philippe