< Back to IRCAM Forum

How to select pulses and assign them a name

What I want to do is assign the variables “strong” and “weak” to pulses depending on their position in the time signature.

Also I want to assign the variables “downbeat” and “upbeat” to one pulse.

After that, notes would be classified as being on a strong pulse, and within that pulse, on the upbeat, for example.

Any recommendations on how could I do that?

Hi again,

Your question is rather vague and the answer depends on how far you want to assign these semantics to objects.
You can always annotate them with extras. (This is the easiest part).
You can algorimically assign some variable depending on your time signature.
You can create classes (this is a very serious task and requires some programming knowledge).

Best
K

Ok, I checked the extras in the reference pages. It looks as if it’s not what I’m after.
I’ll try to be more precise on what I’m trying to achieve:

I want notes to be classified. Some of the categories are rhythm categories, which are 1-Their position depending on time signature, For example, on a 4/4 time signature, pulses (beats) 1 and 3 are strong. I want to store a variable for that note saying “this note is on a strong pulse”.

Also I want to store for that note their position within that pulse (beat), say if they are on the downbeat (land) or the upbeat (air). (Arsis or tesis)

I’m interested on the algorithmically assigning variables depending on time signatures you commented.

I would later check how to create a class if needed.