< Back to IRCAM Forum

How to import data from Excel

What is the easiest way to import data from Excel? Using a .csv/… file that is read in OM?

export as html -> open in browser -> save as txt -> open with textfile object in OM

Hi,

I have just created a Library for that… By now it is only useful to import numerical data from a csv (like those exported by SonicVisualiser). In the future I want to make it more usefull, importing/exporting other data types.

You’ll find it here:

cheers!

2 Likes

Hi,

Thank you very much, I can cofirm it perfectly runs on Linux, Fedora 28, OM version: OM-6.15-2-Linux_Fedora_29.

Later I will test on OsX 10.8.5, of course I am sure it will runs good. This library will be very useful if I am going to repeat a music performance analysis course I had last year, using Sonic Visualizer for analyzing performance recordings. With your function I can be more rapid in statistics on csv data.

Thank you again, ciao

fdsdb

Hi zepadovani,

Thank you, that’s such a great project and contribution. I’ll definitely follow its development.

All the best,
António

I’m glad it is useful for you! I just noticed I can import with double-float precision. I will make some changes in the code and will upload a new version soon!

Hello,

just made some changes in the lib and now you can specify rows and columns (optional args) to be read as strings. May be usefull to load csv files that have headers or specific columns with strings.

Cheers!

Hi there! Thanks for this, I can’t get it to work on OM 6.15 with macOS Mojave (10.14). I get this errorScreenshot 2020-05-10 at 16.24.58

And then the skull symbol in the tutorial patch.

Am I missing something obvious? (Almost certainly!) Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Chris again,

Just change the name of the library from ‘OMio-master’ to ‘OMio’ this will load the library.

Best

k

Thanks so much for the replies Karim! I did try changing names, but hadn’t tried doing it this way. Now it says there’s a different error - three options, though I can’t see them anywhere… Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 17.06.39

THis means you should have only one copy of this library. It seems you have three folders in your library path named OMio… So just remove two of them from the folder, or name them something else and restart OM.

BEst
K

Thanks, Karim, unfortunately I don’t have 3 folders with the same name in the library path, nor anywhere, so I’m not sure what it means or how I can fix it. See here: Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 17.13.36

One thing you can try is:

1. quit OM
  2. go to your workspace folder.
  3. remove ‘preferences.lisp’ file. (keep ir somewhere else)
  4. relaunch OM
  5. set your preferences folder in the OM preferences
  6. click apply and ok and close preferences
  7. go to windows menu (in OM)
  8. choose Library
  9. open the library suitcase
  10. double click on the lower part of the suitcase of the OMio library.

This should do the trick. If it loads well, then now you can chppse to autoload your library by selecting it in OM preferences Libraries tab and click ok.

Please keep us posted.

Best
K

1 Like

Thanks! This has worked. I think the problem was that OM automatically looks in that folder (which I hadn’t realised), and I also told it to look in that folder, so it was looking twice. Thanks Karim!

No problem Chris. And maybe this also will fix the double loading of Chant lib…

Best
And take care.

K

1 Like

Oh, I’m glad you solved it with the help of Karim!

In any case, I’ve cretead a release .zip on github:

best!

1 Like