< Back to IRCAM Forum

graphicsPort error

Hi again,

I hate to come back for more, but here I am! I installed Fluidsynth, and the installation seemed to go ok. But now when I launch OM 7.3, after choosing my workspace I get ‘Invoking a method “graphicsPort” on a null pointer’ error dialog that I can’t close. I’m locked out of all functionality and can only force quit.
Terminal launches and prints some text, which I have attached.

I’m a little concerned as I teach an OM class next week. I should have tested earlier!
error-message.rtf (2.6 KB)

Thanks again for your help,
Per

Hi Per,

I am sorry for all this.
For a start:

1. You are on M1 or intel? (just a reminder)
  2. how did you install fluidsynth? (ie using Homebrew or other)

Best
K

1. I’m on an Intel. I just updated to Ventura hoping it would help, but no change.
  2. fluidsynth installed using homebrew, following instructions here:
    FLUIDSYNTH AND OM | OpenMusic

Thank you!

Ok then,

Do you have any audio/midi interface plugged in?
If yes, Could you please try starting your Mac without it first.
And report back

thank you
Best
K

Unfortunately I am no longer able to access anything - the old behavior has returned. After launching OM 7.3, the “Choose or create a workspace…” dialog opens. When I select Choose a workspace (for example), the next dialog allow me to select my workspace. When it goes away, I am left with no more options - just 1 menu: OM 7.3.

I am able to open the settings window, which looks like this

When I click any of the buttons at the bottom I get:

Dear Per,

Sorry again. Can you:

1. delete OM 7.3.app form your disk
  2. delete the /Library/Preferences/OpenMusic folder
  3. Download this version:

And please do report back to see if it fixes these issues.
I have build this image on a MacBook Pro Intel on Ventura. So same config you have now. And it seems i cannot reproduce these problems. Hope this will solve them.

Best
K

I was unable to open my existing workspace, but I was able to create a perfectly function new workspace, and create a new patch! Just once.
After I quit the behavior is just as before: impossible to open an existing workspace or create a new one.
I’m restarting periodically, no change.

Dear Per,

Very very strange and incomprehensible.
Do you have any log report (from the console?)

I had a similar report from another user. What kind of Mac do you have. (macbook pro, retina, etc.) can you send me the specification from the about menu?

K

It seems that something is preventing writing on your User’s home coming from OM.
Can you also just send me a screenshot of the get info of the app?

Yes, incomprehensible indeed! Unfortunately there is no console - there is nothing. The only thing I see after attempting to access a workspace is the OM 7.3 menu - no other windows, nothing.
Here’s the info on the Mac (Intel):

Here’s the get info on the app:

FWIW I tried creating a new user, launching OM, and creating a new workspace - same behavior, no new workspace and no windows or menus. Not sure if that’s helpful or not.

Yes i tried this on my side, but i have everything.
Try putting this in the init folder of the OM 7.3.app:
ttymacosfix.lisp (1.8 KB)

I don’t know if this will change anything.
I am trying to reproduce your problem, but in vain.
Maybe a problem of your cpu, but i doubt it. I am running under i9

Another thing i am sure your account is administrator?
but this doesn’t change anything.
can you open a terminal and just type groups and send me the result. (don’t worry it is safe).

Your file seemed to work for a bit. I was able to open and work in an older workspace. When I opened the workspace I really needed the graphicsPort error returned.
And now I’m right back where I started - no windows, no menu items.

This is a bit of a roller coaster - I keep thinking it’s fixed.

About your questions:

• no other indication of a CPU problem, seems unlikely,
  • my account is administer, it’s my main admin account
  • here’s the result of the terminal command:
    Macintosh:~ mus$ groups

staff everyone localaccounts _appserverusr admin _appserveradm _lpadmin _appstore _lpoperator _developer _analyticsusers com.apple.access_ftp com.apple.access_screensharing com.apple.access_ssh-disabled com.apple.access_remote_ae com.apple.sharepoint.group.1

By cpu, i meant cpu compatibility but no.
Now i suspect it s the notorization of apple (thank you apple!)
There seems missinig some credentials that i must include.
So it will have to wait until tomorrow so i can figure out which ceredentials i must add while creating the image.
Will surely let you know.

Best
K

Ah yes, that makes sense about the CPU.
Apple really does like to make it difficult, eh? Tomorrow is great, thanks so much for being so quick with all of this.

Per

Dear Per,

One last thing i forgot to ask you: do you happen to you use a clean-up utility?
This also could lead to corrupted OM.app

Best
K

Hi Karim,
No, nothing like that.
Per

I did have filevault on, but I turned that off and no change in behavior.
The intermittent behavior continues: it’ll open a particular workspace first thing in the morning, maybe 2-3 times, but then stop. No amount of restarts seems to help. Not sure why 1st thing in the morning is better, but seems to be. I think it’s sentient and a bit of a diva.

Hi Per,

One mildly good news is that i reproduced your exact erratic behavior error!
And this comes from the new os Monterey/Ventura security paranoid apple permissions (called entitlements!).
So i am trying to figure out what should i filter as instruction to avoid it while notorizing it. I will send you privately a new version pretty soon for testing reason. Apple is absolutely unclear about this.

Best
K

Oh that’s fantastic! I’ll keep a close eye out for that.
And yes, I’ve lost many good hours dealing with security changes that are poorly documented by Apple, super frustrating.