< Back to IRCAM Forum

Future Music Lab Concert

Great concert last night, everyone! I think the music was brilliant, really enjoyed it. We had a very varied programme, unbelieveable that it was all composed, coded and performed in the last couple of weeks. From my point of view, it was the first time I was able to perform with electronics and be so freed from the computer. I’ve attached a picture of a previous attempt - a midi controller on the harp! So it was liberating to have no cables but yet very reliable and accurate control from the MO motion sensor. I had also done it with xBee but my device was a lot bigger and so couldn’t be positioned on my hand like the MO. We spent some time getting the position right, and it was good that it was so light and small so as not to interfere with normal playing. Before Future Music Lab it has been a challenge to me to be able to work with electronics which change with the fast and rhythmic characteristics of Irish traditional dance music. Either there isn’t enough control, or things need to be rigidly set, and then they are too rigid and can’t push and pull with the rhythm of the music in real time. It has been great to find a half way point where I can affect the rhythm of the electronics without being a slave to the computer. Delighted to get towards this with Mari Kimura and the MO sensor.

PreviousTechUna.jpg