< Back to IRCAM Forum

Fundamental Analysis

Hello!
recently I analyzed 2 short folksongs with Fundamental frequency, one is simile with the folksong in D major ( b minor) , the another one is in F-sharp but in fact the it is a B major, why?
another question, the chord-seq ( cs.sdif) has been evaluated in Voice, Export-xml in OpenMusic, the Time signature always in 2/4, can I have another possibilities? ( e.g. 4/4, 6/8 even senza misura - without metric)
thanks!

Shing-kwei

Hi!
can I have a diagram shows only the bar of Fundamental Frequency (F0) in the Sonogram Analysis ? (Without the overtones) thanks for any instructions for the question and the last 2 questions.

Shing-kwei

I means the Bpf line, in my AudioSculpt menu 2.2.3 there is a Bpf and can be edited.
thanks

SK.

Hi Shing-kwei,

If you have several analysis shown and want to show only the F0 (and its Bpf), then you should use the “Sonogram Display”
which is available under Menu > Windows > Show (Or Hide) Sonogram Display.

Once this floating window is shown on the Desktop, you should be able to activate or deactivate the visibility of the different analysis
in the sonogram view. So i your case leave only “the Fundamental Analysis” checkbox on, and the others off.

HTH,
Best regards,
Charles

Hello Charles, thanks for your guide. I did check and slide the Sonogram display / Fundamental Frequency, sorry! still can’t find the Bpf ( ref. Screen Shot)

best regards

Shing-kwei

Screen-Shot-Fundamental-Freq-Bpf-.png

Hi Shing-kwei,

OK i understand now.

Did you try to hide the sonogram to actually see if the F0 Bpf is visible ?

Also, if you cannot see it, well chances are that that you have a mislead F0 calculation, did you try a different set of parameters for your sound : for example, look if your F0 min and max parameters are in a correct range.

Otherwise, I suggest you to reset all the parameters of AudioSculpt in order to get a standard set. Because it is easy to activate or set a parameter for a specific treatment/analysis which may be then incompatible with others.
In order to do it :

1. Select Analysis > Fundamental Frequency Analysis
  2. In the F0 panel, look at the bottom left and click on the Preset menu list -> select Factory Settings
  3. (optional) Then adjust the known parameters that will be best for the F0 analysis (for example the F0 min, max if you already saw which range will help the analysis).

Tell me how it goes,

HTH,

Best regards,
Charles

Cher Charles,
merci beaucoup de réponse.
---------Did you try to hide the sonogram to actually see if the F0 Bpf is visible ?----
Ans. I don’t know.

------1) Select Analysis > Fundamental Frequency Analysis
2) In the F0 panel, look at the bottom left and click on the Preset menu list -> select Factory Settings
3) (optional) Then adjust the known parameters that will be best for the F0 analysis (for example the F0 min, max if you already saw which range will help the analysis).----------
please ref. the 2 Screenshots.
Do you know TeamViwer? I can give you Password to control my Mac Pro.

best sregards

Shing=kwei

Screen-Shot-FActory-setting.png

Hello! Charles,
may I ask again, how to get the Bpf of Fundamental Analysis? thanks !!
best regards
Shing-kwei

Hi Shing-kwei,

In fact it is a bit difficult to understand what you are doing if you are sending screenshots without explanation? Did you redo the analysis after setting to factory settings?

That said, besides there being a strange bug the only reason I see that you don’t get the bpf would be that the results are all zero. Would you be able to send me the sound file you use and the F0 sdif file that you produce when you do the analysis? The best would be if you create a zip file and put it somewhere for download sending the link to my personal email address.

You can get the name of the F0 sdif file in the bpf window title, it is something like tempf0-0039.f0.sdif where the number may be different. You find the file in the folder named “Fundamental” in your AudioSculpt USERHOME directory. YOu can get the location of this USERHOME directory in opening AudioSculpt preferences->environment. You might also be able to search the file using the finder Spotlight.

Best
Axel

Dear Axel,
I am so glad to have your comments. thanks!
Please download the 2 sound files ( Ms. Lee & Ms. Luo) from my Sound Claud, https://soundcloud.com/shing-kwei-tzeng.
here are the 2 Foundmental analysis’s what I have done.

all my best wishes
Shing-kwei

Dear Shing-kwei

Please download the 2 sound files ( Ms. Lee & Ms. Luo) from my Sound Claud, https://soundcloud.com/shing-kwei-tzeng.

I don’t have an Sound Cloud account and so I cannot download these two files. Anyway these would be mp3 files I guess,
did you run the analysis on mp3 files?

here are the 2 Foundmental analysis’s what I have done.

These are fine, they are displayed here in my AudioSculpt without problems.

Can you answer a few questions please?

1. Does it work if you run F0 analysis with other files?

2. In your Screenshot Screen-Shot-Fundamental-Freq-Bpf-.png I see F0 bpf is enabled in the Sonogram Display dialog but I don’t see
    the F0 title bar of the BPD editor on the spectrogram. If these are the corresponding spectrograms than there seems to be something rather wrong.
    Could you confirm that if you run an F0 analysis on one of these files and may be on any other file
    that you do not you see the title bar of the BPF appear on the spectrogram view?

3. I am sorry to suggest this but sometimes it might be the best solution for hidden bugs -
    did you try to quit AudioSculpt and to start it again and see whether this changes anything?

Best
Axel

Hi Shing-kwei,

Could you please give us the version of AudioSculpt that you are currently using ?
It seems like from a message above that you use a 2.2.3 version, is it correct ?

If you are still a member of the IRCAM Forum and have a valid subscription running for this year, then i would suggest you to download the latest version of AudioSculpt (3.4.4) and then retry your operations directly with this version.
Unless you need to use it in a very old Mac OS X version ?

Best regards,
Charles

Hi! Charles,
thanks for your reply.
I use the new version of AudioSculpt (3.4.4), I have a manual of version 2.2.3 ( paper and enlarged better reading for my weak sight).

best

Shing-kwei

Dear Axel,

I don’t have an Sound Cloud account and so I cannot download these two files. Anyway these would be mp3 files I guess,
did you run the analysis on mp3 files?
You can download without registered account, it’s open for everybody. Yes, I use a .wav.

1. Does it work if you run F0 analysis with other files?
    Yes, it does on both of my computer Laptop and Desktop OS 10.10.2
  1. In your Screenshot Screen-Shot-Fundamental-Freq-Bpf-.png I see F0 bpf is enabled in the Sonogram Display dialog but I don’t see
    the F0 title bar of the BPD editor on the spectrogram. If these are the corresponding spectrograms than there seems to be something rather wrong.
    Could you confirm that if you run an F0 analysis on one of these files and may be on any other file
    that you do not you see the title bar of the BPF appear on the spectrogram view?

I see the F0 title bar with 0004.f0.sdif but I still can’t find the Bpf. by attachment let me send you 2 Fundamental Analysis .sdif, but change Bpf color and background color the OPACITY are 0%.

I am sorry to suggest this but sometimes it might be the best solution for hidden bugs –
did you try to quit AudioSculpt and to start it again and see whether this changes anything?
Yes, many times with both Laptop and Desktop.
thank you very much!

best
Shing-kwei

sorry not complete the attachments.
SK.

Hi Shing-kwei,

Would it be possible for you to save the Bpf from the Bpf Editor so i can look at the points currently being stored inside of it ?

For that, once you calculated the F0 :

1. right click inside the sonogram so we can see the contextual menu
  2. select > Save As > Text

I attach you a screenshot so you can see how to go through the contextual menu.

Once you saved the text file, could you please attach it here so i can look at it.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Best,
Charles

ExportBpfAsText.png

Cher Charles, Merci beaucoup te es gentil!
Voila, trovez trouvez les attachments, s’il te plait.

Salut
Shing-kwei

Ms-Luo-F0-Opacity-0_text.txt (766 KB)

Hello Charles,
i think, (I’m quite sure) I’m already on the Bpf of Fundamental Analysis. sorry for my careless!!

best
Shing-kwei

Screen-Shot-Bpf-Fundamental-Analysis-2016-11-20-at-8.36.31-PM.png