< Back to IRCAM Forum

Friction on a plate

Hi all,

I’d like to model the friction of a soft material like rubber on a metal or glass plate. Typically, such phenomena like a wet finger on a glass, or a superball on a cymbal, a gong or a flat fin metal plate. I tried to tweak the example Mlys.StrikeAplate from the Forum Max Apps package, but it’s not satisfactory, the hammer is always too hard.

Does someone have any tips or example?

Best,

Alexis

hi alexis,

iam curious about this as well. did you find a way to manage this?
thanks.
greetings, johannes

Hi Johannes,

I actually gave up and found another solution to simulate this phenomenon, but if someone has a cue I would still be interessed in it.

Best, Alexis

Hi,

Actually, Roald Baudoux did something convincing with an adhere connection between a mono-two-mass and a rect-plate !

http://forumnet.ircam.fr/user-groups/modalys/forum/topic/no-sound-from-one-of-two-adhere-connections-on-a-plate-whats-wrong-mlys/

Cheers !

Jean

Hi Jean,

thanks for the info. Quite interesting patch, and for some features in may be quite adapted. Actually what I finally did is quite similar (with band-limited noise as exciter). However it’s not possible to model friction with it, for instance the specific sound of a superball on a thunderplate or on a drum, where the connection between the ball and the resonator alternates between adherence and release. As far as I understand the “adhere” connection from Modalys, both objects are kind of sticked together with a given mass, which is not what I was looking for.

With a superball, the interaction is much more complex, since the resonance modes of the resonator also interacts with the superball and the flexible stick. The connection is bidirectional, and depends on the pressure applied on the stick+ball that bends accordingly.

Best,

Alexis

Hi Alexis,

“where the connection between the ball and the resonator alternates between adherence and release”

Did you try a bow connection for your superball ? I think it’s exactly what your looking for. The bow connection works on a membrane even if there is a dimension missing…

Cheers !

Jean