< Back to IRCAM Forum

Fog~ external for Max 8.3

Hi, I have an old patch from 2008 that uses the external fog~ and I now need to update the project to a new Apple M1 machine.
The fog~ I have is from March 15, 2007 and understandably refuses to load on Max 8.3: “fog~: could not load due to incorrect architecture”.
Unfortunately there is no fog~ external in the MaxSoundBox package, is there a newer fog~ version available somewhere?
Merci, Roby

Hi Roby,
first of all, where did you get the 2007 version of fog~ from?
An immediate workaround for the time being might be to run Max under Rosetta.
Best, Diemo

Hi Diemo,

This is long time ago, but I guess I got it from the Ircam Forum, together with all the other nice stuff.

Running Max in Rosetta does not solve the problem: fog~: could not load due to incorrect architecture
This is probably due to 32bit/64bit conflict.
Any solutions to this, other than using an older machine?

Thanks,
Roby

Hi Roby,

luckily we did find the sources for fog and fofb and could port them to Max 64bit arch and audio, fixing an off-by-one bug on the way. We’ll send it to you privately for thorough testing (especially with multiple outlets) before including it into a new release of MaxSoundBox.

Best,
Diemo

1 Like

Hi Diemo,
This is great news, many thanks for this!
Best regards,
Roby

hi diemo,
i’m also searching for a 64bit arch fog~ port since years,
would be super-awsome if you would send it to me too,
and i could join the beta-testing!
regards, daniel

hi diemo,
unfortunately i am unable to load the fog~ & fofb~ externals in max 8 (‘unable to load object bundle executable’)
regards daniel

Does it work for you, Roby @steinmetzer?

Hi,
Sorry but I’m on vacation right now, I’ll be able to test in detail and report back next week.
Thanks, Roby

Is there a recent fog~ to test?

Hi,
Both externals fog~ and fofb~ load fine here (after resolving the quarantine stuff in System Preferences) on my M1 machine under Rosetta and work as expected so far.
Natively I got the “unable to load object bundle executable” error, so I guess the objects are not compiled for the M1 architecture.
Though it’s ok for me to work under Rosetta, would it be problematic to compile a arm64/x86_64 external now that you are already at it?
Thanks again and if you want me to test more, let me know.
Roby

mmmh, very weird that it does not work for me here on intel (10.14.5).