< Back to IRCAM Forum

flat and sharp in a chord-seq

Hi,

I’ve built a generic function to generate random chords in a Harp instrument. The thing is that the harp follows an enahrmonic logic and I need to have results that accept both # and b notes. For example: if I have three possibilities for a C string (Cb, C or C#) and the MIDIcents are 5900, 6000, and 6100. If the choosen MIDIc is 5900 the chord-seq should display a Cb note, but if it has choosen 6100 the chord-seq object should display C#. What should I do? Is there a way of configuring the chord-seq object to resolve this problem?

Thank you very much!

Alex

Hi Alex,

1. open the chord-seq editor
  2. type ‘s’
  3. select each note and right-click. You’ll have the option you want.

Best
K

Hi Karim,

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I know how to do that and that is exactly what I’m trying to avvoid, to much work to do. What I wanted was a way to give some conditions before the chord-seq’s display result so the notes would be playable in a harp. For example: between the three possibilities of a C string (Cb 5900, C 6000, or C# 6100), If nth-random = 5900 the chord-seq object would display C flat. If nth-random = 6100 the chord-seq result would be a C sharp note. Is that possible?

Thank you again!

Bonjour Karim,

I think the question would be better generalised whether it’s possible to manage enharmonics (sharps and flats) at data level (lists) and not only thru the editors. I take the opportunity to ask a question which is lying around my head for a while, is there any method to change score editors attributes others than whose accessible by the default slots? (for example sharps and flats, but also for instance staves distances or font sizes). I am sure they are internally accessible thru the Lisp classes, but how they can be accessed at user level?
Thanks!
A.

just FYI technically all these attributes are actually not accessible thru the musical object classes (chord, chord-seq, etc.) because they are attached to the box containing them (which is itself attached to the editor). This is why, for instance, these attributes (scales, staves, font size etc.) remain when you reevaluate a box and replace the object instance it contains and displays.
The current architecture therefore does not allow to easily access them from a patch.
Jean