< Back to IRCAM Forum

Failed to converting mid/xml file to antescofo format

hi. could someone let me know how can I use Antescofo converter properly? I keep failed to converting my .mid or .xml file exported from my MuseScore to Antescofo format, with the error message like:

“Sorry we couldn’t process the file: test.mid type: audio/mid size: 200 Bytes”

I tried to separate parts into each single mid/xml files but it keeps failing

Prefer using MusicXML to MIDI!
Unfortunately MusicXML, despite being a standard, is not always being encoded properly by external software! If you could share your file I can have a Quick Look.
The converter has been largely tested on output from Finale and Sibelius and MusicXML should be Part-wise.

test.mid (307 Bytes)
test.mxl (2.4 KB)

dear Arshia. thank you for the reply! sorry to forgot to upload the files.
here’s the mid and xml file from the same software (MuseScore 4). please let me know how would you think these. hope it could help!

@shy8500 Find attached the result when I pass the MXL into the AntescofoImporter App. Is there any problem?
test.asco.txt (2.8 KB)

oh, I tested with this link https://antescofo-converter.ircam.fr/ is there any other converter?

I think I found another importer app but could you let me know how can I use this? I downloaded the master files from here but have no idea how to use this.

That’s what I used to convert your file! It’s the source code and you’d need to compile it to an App! Might be overkill for you.

@giavitto @beller : any chance you can update the Antescofo Importer web service to the latest version? I don’t have access since I am no longer at Ircam. That would be the best solution!

Otherwise I will try to build and package the Antescofo importer app and make a release for Mac from GitHub! But I need to find some time to clean/update the App… .

Hi all

Similar issue here.

2022 M2 MacBook Air
Sonoma 14.4.1

Both musxml and musx files get “Sorry we couldn’t process the file” error. Have tried from Finale and Dorico Pro 4.

Extracting a MIDI file does work, but that’s not ideal. It’s just a single line part (a short flute / live electronics piece) so I can’t see why there should be an issue. (Deliberately chose a small project that can be easily edited by hand if necessary!) Have attached the relevant files if that helps.
Even_The_Olives_(strict_time).mxl (8.9 KB)
Even The Olives - strict time.musx (127.1 KB)
Even The Olives - strict tempo.midi (3.4 KB)

Tried installing the app but make failed - are there any dependencies I should have installed first? Or am I going about it the wrong way entirely? (Entirely possible - I’m very much coming at this from a musician’s rather than a technician’s perspective!)

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate having such resources available.

Here is the converted file.

Even_The_Olives_(strict_time).asco.txt (8.9 KB)

It has been converted with the standalone tool without problems at all. I will check if there are some problems with the online tool.

And here are two binaries for the command line version of the converter. They are compiled for x86 but shoud work without burden with Rosetta on more recent arm.
antescofo_importer (553.6 KB)
antescofo_importer (1.5 MB)

1 Like

Thank you so much - really appreciate the work you all do!

Will try compiling the converter when I get back to the main computer!

Thanks again,
Joe

ETA: That’s excellent - thanks you again! Far more detail than the MIDI transcription (as expected) so far less editing required.

If you want compile the latest version from github, on Mac it is preferable to use Xcode and not make (because at the end, you have to codesign and notarize the executable, which is automatic if you sign for local use on your machine).

1 Like

Thanks for the tip - will give it a try

J