< Back to IRCAM Forum

Exporting Audio File

Hello. I’ve got everything working with Orchids now and first impressions are that it’s pretty solid and a fairly intuitive interface to use. This is saying a lot given what it’s doing!

I have a delicious texture generated by a multi=target analysis and orchestration of a blacksmiths hammer hitting an anvil. The playback of the score within Orchids is discontinuous as my little USB 3.0 ssd can’t keep up with the number of layers it’s being asked to stream. No surprise there. The preview audio plays well, however, it’s not clear how to export to audio. In the Solutions area I set the current solution to target and select Export as audio file from the pull-down menu. Then what? There’s no prompt for a file name or location to write the file. I’m obviously missing something here. Any suggestions?

[12 minutes later…] Aha… the large blue button at the bottom-right on the Solutions page does double duty: the lower half allows one to select an export format from the pull-down menu (umenu?); the upper half actually triggers the Export operation. It’s a slightly tricky interface design decision to make no visual differentiation between these two areas of what looks like one functional selection tool.

Thanks and, again, great appreciation for this fine work!

Kenneth.

Hi Kenneth, thanks for the feedback much appreciated :slight_smile:

We noted this playback problem, along with a major flaw in the computation of the partials that gives wrong results for several types of targets. All these should be fixed with the new release (0.9.1) that will be coming along this week.

Regarding the export of solutions, there is a “global turnaround” that you can use by relying on the “global record” function, which is the round button on the far right of the interface (next to the global volume slider). You can press it once to start recording, this will record all audio coming out of Orchids (all operations that you are doing with the software), when you are done you can press it again to save it as a sound file.

All the best,
Philippe

Hi,

i’m Lorenzo and i’m new in this forum.
i have a question about exporting audio file from orchids.
in the Solutions panel i can export audio file of my rchestration but the output file is mono. only 1 ch.
i’m sure there is a solution, i can choose all my orchestration and all instruments positions and i can’t choose to export the sound file in 2 ch.?
what i wrong?

thank you so much.

PS: i see there was an old topic about this questions and i decided to not open another one.

Nothing?

Dear Lorenzo,

Have you tried the new 0.9.2 version ? It fixes a lot of issues and it also now have an option called “exports tracks to folder” that will export all the instruments as individual wavefile tracks (both solutions or maquettes) and that should allow you to work with independent track in another editor (and the exports should also be stereo channels now)

All the best,
Philippe