< Back to IRCAM Forum

EventStatus and TimeStatus messages

Hey, I haven’t seen anything about these messages in either the reference pdf or any forum posts. What do these messages specifically mean? I’m guessing they mean that the tempo detection is off at this stage for example? In this specific patch/score I’m actually only using Antescofo as a “brain” instead of a tempo follower to try out its possibilities this way as well since the programming language is just a breeze compared to many others.

Basically a pianist will have an extra midi pedal that triggers different cues, effectively sending a message to Antescofo to move to the next score event. I’m setting up manually BPM per event in Antescofo to use some functions with beats, but I keep getting the EventStatus and TimeStatus which I’m starting to believe are influencing the temporalities in my score.

Thanks for the info.

Hello Maladie.

These messages are information given when a “transport” action is performed (loading a score, starting from an event, playing the score, nextevent, stopping the listener, etc.). They are purely informative and does not impact the tempo detection or the listening. But the way you are using antescofo has an impact.

If I understand well your settings, you uses a pedal to do “nextevent”. In this case, you must do a first “start” and specify at the very beginning of your score “antescofo::suivi 0”. In this way, antescofo is running but the listening module is disabled. So, the musical events are produced only by the “nextevent” actions.

This does not prohibit antescofo to infer a tempo from the musical events. This tempo is used to compute the delays (in beat) in the specified actions. The BPM statement indicates only the tempo expected from the musician (for the musical actions). The BPM values are used to initialize the tempo inference and are not prescriptive: the score may specify “BPM 60” but the tempo inferred can be 90 if the musician plays faster. You can stop the inference of the tempo with a statement “TEMPO OFF” in the score. In this case, the BPM specification is the tempo used for the delays.

At any moment, you can fix the inferred tempo using the statement “antescofo::tempo nnn” (or the message “tempo nnn” send to antescofo~).

Hope this help,
Jean-Louis.

Hey,

I’m using the “playfrom” function so it is easier for the pianist to be able to move forward or backwards to rehearse the piece instead of “nextevent”. This is making Antescofo saying EventStatus and TimeStatus every time a new cue is triggered by the pianist.

Is there any difference between writing BPM 55 and antescofo::tempo 55?

Thanks

BPM 55 changes the score tempo in the subsequent events of your score.

antescofo::tempo 55 changes the perceived tempo during executation (as if your musician is playing 55BPM during performance). It’s the same as sending a message [tempo 55] from Pd/Max. This corresponds to the internal variable RT_TEMPO (or real-time [detected] tempo).