< Back to IRCAM Forum

Enabling MIDI out

I was wondering—is it possible to enable MIDI output from Dicy2 alongside the audio output? I’ve been exploring the Dicy2 for Max examples, but I haven’t been able to find any good leads. I’m also a Max novice, so any pointers for how to do this manually by editing DICY2-Agent.axmd would be super helpful.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I have the same question, it would be amazing if there is a way.

Hello to both of you,

Thank you for your interest in Dicy2!

Quick answer:
The plug-in for Live is indeed Audio → Audio. One could imagine :

1. A real Audio → Midi version. To develop this :
  • you have to choose in advance which MIDI descriptors in the “memory” to match which Audio descriptors in the “guiding input” (even if you can imagine that pitch, chroma, etc. are fairly straightforward)
  • perform this conversion at the interface between perception and query, i.e. between the identifier object (which would analyze the incoming audio) and the MIDI memory query (“generate” message sent to the agent)
  • implement a MIDI renderer to play the result
  1. A much simpler “hack” if we have 2 versions of our memory, both audio AND midi memory: use “classic” Dicy2 audio but don’t do audio rendering (audio memory would only be used for idendification) and use the sequences of segments to be played generated by the agent to do midi rendering.

In Dicy2 for Max:
There are examples of Midi Input → Midi Output in the Dicy2 for Max use cases, but there is indeed no Audio Input → Midi Output use case.

:grinning:I could add one indeed, or ideally, someone from the community could do it and share it with the rest of the world! :grinning:

Question
What would be according to you the ideal workflow to enable MIDI out ?

On a partly related note (for some reason I am unable to open a new topic), where does Dicy2 for Live store the output of the analysis model? Basically, I am trying to match up the OSC labels with the data from the model, to feed into a real-time visualization in TouchDesigner.

Hello! So sorry for my late reply, just saw this…

I was actually able to find a work-around for my use case, which was doing OSC out! I did this by modifying format_out_messages in dicy2.easy_sequence-render to return labels. I’m not able to add media here, but if you’re interested in more details I can email them to you. Maybe worth adding OSC out as a default in the plugin? For the MIDI out, I think the second option you mentioned makes a lot of sense to me!