< Back to IRCAM Forum

Diphone error report on 10.7.3

hello,

during the last days of testing diphone on my 2012 macbook pro (osx 10.7.3) i had a lot of fun and came to

very interesting results but i also experienced strange behaviours of the software that i´am going to report here.

some of them makes me wonder if diphone really works correctly on my machine.

lets find out:

• diphone (not addan /resan) crashes always when i try to preview a composite segments

• diphone (not addan /resan) crashes sometimes when i drag a segment into a sequence or i switch back to diphone from another app like thunderbird/fox

• when i try to do inharmonic analysis i get the following error:

PM Error: can’t open peaks input file ‘/Users/j/Documents/IRCAM/Diphone/ImpExport/Peakcrotale.pic.sdif’

Kernel return error -1

btw. didn’t found any infos about inharmonic analysis in the docs…

• there are clicks at the beginning and the end of segment and sequence when playing a preview - this probably depends on

the amp-env of a segment/sequence (missing fadein & fadeout )

• when previewing a sequence i also get a click between segments from different sounds while cpu is ca. 2%

(reducing the samplerate and nr of partials doesnt seem to effect this while the segment length does)

• i get crazy loud/ distorted playback of the synthesized sound in addan analysis window when i change the audio setting like bitrate and audio format

• some dico files (that are part of the standard diphone app ) didn´t open at all or just open an empty dico-window

• the segments of the working dicos (eg…a7.dico) are blocked/greyed-out sometimes. then i have to click in the background of the dico window or the desktop to “reanimate” them (sometimes diphone crashes here)

• the volume control of the sequence (the fader) doesn’t work correctly (e.g. leveling to the left side results in full volume, i have to re-adjust it for every preview )

if there is anything i can do/check please let me know…

kind regards.

johannes

anyone out there who experienced similar behaviours on osx 10.7.3?

are there osx setting/preferences that could cause the described behaviours?

maybe a older version of diphone works correctly on 10.7.3…?

thanks for your help,

johannes

Hi Johannes,

A new version of Diphone should be available this week (normally Wednesday) wich should fix some of the issues you are experiencing on 10.7.

It will also fix the issues on 10.8 so Diphone should be working for this system too.

Best,

Charles

Hi Johannes,

Could you please send us the crash reports related to your problems (preview composite segments / dragging segments / switch back from Thunderbird to Diphone). It could be then easier to identify what caused the problem from Diphone and fix that part.

It is possible to get and copy/paste them from the Console.app wich is located in the Applications/Utilities folder. on the left pane of this application a panel shows the User diagnostic reports : the Diphone related crash file names will begin with Diphone_XXXXX.

Thanks a lot in advance !

Best,

Charles

hi charles,

i append 3 crash reports as rtf file.

the 1st rtf is the result of playing a segment, which is part of a composite segment, in the dico window.

the 2nd rtf is the result of playing a composite segment in a sequence,

while the 3rd rtf is the result of editing the fundamental of a segment and then clicking on one of the parameters names in the sequence to see the display…

the other errors are not reproducable for now. i will try to crash diphone the next days… : -)

looking forward for the new version and further diphone development…

thanks!

ciao, johannes

diphone_crashreports.zip (46.4 KB)

Thanks a lot for the file !

We’ll try to fix the issues as fast as possible !

Best,

Charles

hi charles,

i append one more crash report which was happening in a sequence as i load the “frequency of partials” into the memory.

maybe that´s helpful.

ciao,

j

diphone_seq_load_freqpartials_memo.rtf (47.6 KB)