< Back to IRCAM Forum

Diapason and microtones?

Hello,

Is there a way to tell AudioSculpt which diapason is being used (for instance, A4=442Hz), so that it takes it into account when computing the symbolic pitch in the upper right window when the Analysis Tool is selected?
Also, in the same window, would it be possible, please, to notate the MIDI note in Midicents. At the moment, MIDI and Pitch are redundant. The current semitonal approximation for a spectral analysis seems really very insufficient to my ears.
Thank you very much in advance.

Marco

Hi Marco,

You can change de diapason in the Grid Settings in AS Menu > Windows > Grid Settings.
In the “Frequency Grid” section of the “Grid Settings” window look at the dropdown menu and select
Midi or Staff. Both have the ability then to set the Diapason and it should be taken into account
inside the Sonogram view grid, and in the other windows.

Do you mean to change MIDI note in Midicents in the Inspector of the Diapason Tool ?
Because you have already a MIDI Cents entry in it…?

Best,
Charles

You’re right, Charles, I was too… lazy to open the Inspector of the Diapason Tool, and was only looking at the permanently open black rectangle with blue character on the upper right part of the main window (frequency, pitch and midi). My apologies!
However, unless I understood something wrong, the freq->midi cent conversion does not seem to be correct, that is, to take the diapason (middle A) into account. In the attached picture, middle A is set to 442., and the frequency 440.0 gives a perfect A, when it should be a little lower in this case. Is there something that I missed?
Thank you very much.

Marco

diapason.jpg

Hi Marco,

Normally yes, you should have 442Hz printed next to the middle A. It should work like that and it seems to work when i use AudioSculpt.
May be try to switch to Staff from the dropdown menu, input 442Hz in the Diapason input box and do not forget to press Return once you have set it.
Once it is set it should be “correctly” updated on the Inspector.

Best
Charles