< Back to IRCAM Forum

Day2: Interactivity, limitations etc

The 2nd day of #FutureMusicLab: Yesterday I gave what it was going to be just an orientation for the four fellows of my program. But then the word got out that I will do some demo, and about 20 extra students from the composition program came over and it became a seminar! I wasn’t fully prepared to do a seminar and even forgot one adapter (USB to Ethernet adapter) but somehow pulled through :slight_smile:

I met the four fellows individually during the day. Below in the attaches photos are Irish Harpist Una Mohaghan and Baroque Oboist Brandon Labadie. They are both virtuosos of their instruments at the highest levels, and seeking to expand their musical horizon using the latest technology within the boundaries of their instruments.

I introduced Una to SuperVP objects and she was astonished with the high quality of the sounds. I recommended that she composes a suite consists of several different musical characters and technology to explore her sound world with interactive systems. She is honoring the traditional language of Irish folk music, but also has the ability to fearlessly bring the genre her own and forward. Truly inspiring.

Brandon has already built a wireless sensor with the guidance of Emmanuel Flety at IRCAM. He has been studying with me at Juilliard, and he has so many projects and ideas that I could hardly keep up. He will explore using MO sensors as well. My goal with Brandon who could be too self-critical :slight_smile: making him finish those projects. My job is rather easy—I just ‘cheerleader’ him! Seriously it is difficult to objectively see your own work so I’m acting as his sounding board, so to speak.

For Andrew Pramuk (Baritone) and Cory Lee (violin), the other two fellows of the Future Music Lab, I’m giving them a “bootcamp” intro to MaxMSP; I don’t need them to create a super synthesizer or processing function on their own, but to get to the point they could find the tools that are musically useful for them. My goal for them is to create music using MaxMSP, not to become a virtuoso patch builder which can be done by engineers. They are very gifted musicians, and I would like them to start using interactive systems to create music using their superb facilities.

Yesterday my husband Hervé Brönnimann and I hosted the four fellows for a barbeque party at our temporary home in Maine, with a huge garden by a lake called “China Lake” :slight_smile: These are the four fellow laureates of the Future Music Lab 2013 at the Atlantic Music Festival–in the first photo, from the left: Una Monaghan (Irish Harp, SARC, Irland), Cory Lee (violin, Juilliard/Yale), Andrew Pramuk (Baritone, Eastman School of Music, DAAD to Berlin), and Brandon Labadie (Baroque Oboe, Juilliard).

IMG_86571.jpg