< Back to IRCAM Forum

Dante Terza Rima/ increasing palindromes?

Good evening All,

I’m looking for a way to order a list (1 to n) in the following way (after Dante’s Terza Rima):
etc.

I’ve tried using Patterns (which I’m sure is the way to deal with such a problem) but my experience with this library is more ‘art than science’ aka luck, due to a shaky understanding of how it really works (I hate to admit). The attached patch is horridly basic and its other main problem is that I can’t specify what final number the cycling pattern ends at (in the above example, 1-9).

This is similar to another problem of 121, 12321, 1234321, etc which I’ve also attempted in an equally basic way (see attached patch).

Always eager to learn, so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Krhes
orderings.omp (12.2 KB)

Hi Krhes,

If I understand you well, this is rather simple using omloops:

the patch:
orderDante.omp (6.2 KB)

Best
K

1 Like

Dear Karim,

Parfait (comme toujours)!

Thank you and have a good weekend,
Krhes

Hi,

maybe a bit ot, but this will make a palindrome with any list except the ones starting with zero, like (0 1 2)

best,
rc

Hello RC,

Thanks very much for this palindromic omloop. It’s kind of you to share this - I’m keen to see different formal models using lambda and I look forward to following the logic through this patch.

Kind regards,
Krhes

I’ve tried using Patterns (which I’m sure is the way to deal with such a problem)

Hi.

Patterns might be overkill, but probably interesting anyway, as the approach may provide more general solutions at a higher level of interaction with OM. Below are some example solutions using the Patterns-lib.

-anders

“Terza Rima”:

And “Increasing palindromes”:

1 Like