< Back to IRCAM Forum

Converting microtones to channels

Hi everybody,

I’m looking for a way to convert microtones to midi channels. I know OM does this automatically for MIDI output, but there don’t currently seem to be any patches that do this as a score function in the libraries. OMTristan has midic->canal, but this is one of the very few patches in that library that don’t work. I don’t really know how to write LISP code, so I would have to do it visually. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Michals,

I have a patch that does the trick in 16th tone and in 1/4th and whatever… Since you are not ready to lisp it in code, it will be most convienient to you. Here are the two patches. Tell me if you need the lisp code, when i have time i will wrap it up for you guys.

Best
Kquarter-midi-1.omp (29.5 KB) 16emes-midi-1 2.omp (35.2 KB)

Thank you Karim! This patch is a real beauty, and very educational. I read the documentation on the omif box about 10 times, but (with all respect to the documentation, which is very deep, but often only makes sense in retrospect) now I actually understand how to use it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, I have made copious use of this patch, but I’m having a small problem: I’d like to use this on multi-seqs. I’ve figured out how to get info from multi-seqs and put them back together, if need be, but I’m having a lot of trouble figuring out what to do with the extra level of parentheses in the omloop.

If you or anyone has an idea how I can

Looks like I cut off my message, just for completeness’ sake, that last sentence should read “If anyone has any idea how I can conquer this step, I’ll be very grateful”.

Hi everyone,
If I understand correctly, My patch that micro-MIDI can be solution for your question. It has a score for notation with eighter-tone signature supporting, can play microtonal interval, realtime. It can partition every chromatic western temperament as 100 cents. So It uses 12 MIDI channels for every microtonal interval. It also export as MIDI File or MusicXML with 12 microtonal MIDI Channel. If you interest the patch, for extra information and download link: (Turkish translation)

http://serdarcelik.art/micromidi.html

Maybe, It can need a few current dlls

Hi bachcelik, thanks for the post, I’ll take a look at it a bit later, I am always curious to see other people’s patches.

With regard to the multiseq/poly thing, I solved the problem, and I thought I’d share for anyone else who is logic-challenged like me:

Iterative processes. Working with multiseqs and polys becomes extremely easy if you just run whatever process you want through omloop or - as I usually prefer - mapcar. That way you run whatever process you’re trying to carry out sequentially on each track. This seems so obvious now, it’s kind of embarrassing that it took me several years to figure it out. But now it makes perfect sense.

additionally, if the process you’re trying to carry out is somewhat complex, you can put it in a subpatch and plug that into mapcar.