< Back to IRCAM Forum

Controller as output instead of an access

Hi there!

A question concerning point output in Max Modalys:

Point output is capable of using a controller for outputting samples instead of an object access.
But when doing so it places the controller as BOTH output and gain inside of the point output.
It does allow a controller to be placed instead of an access but it ALSO place that same controller as a output gain.
Which result in the controller designated for output is being multiplied by itself.

See the adjoint patch - it should be clear what the problem is. Can something be done?

Kindly Hans Peter

05-PointOutput-Controller-TEST.maxpat (12.9 KB)

Any news on this observation?

It will be critical that putting a controller to an output instead of an access works correctly.
For instance if you want to make some volume regulation (normalisation, limiting, etc) before output.

Best Hans Peter

Be patient, my friend: I was away in Luxembourg this week and will be back to to drawing table next week!

Thanks,
Robert

Great! I have some free time next week if I can assist in some way.

An additional question since we talk about make-point-output here:
is channel number hardwired into make-point-output during instantiation or can it be changed on the fly?

Until soon Hans Peter

Hi Hans Peter.
This is now solved in 3.4.5.b3 (which I hope to finally release today…)

Hi Robert !

I verified this idea today and indeed it works like a charm now. Really great!

Together with the new and flexible sine controller one could now go on creating signal generation patches without the use of objects.
Though on the philosophical side why use Modalys if not exploring objects? Well, though a sine is called a controller if thought of as a harmonic oscillator it could be considered of an object too. Or not? A patch is provided to show a familiar signal processing idea using sine, arithmetic and dynamic controllers only to generate sound. For you to decide. Enjoy!

Best Hans Peter

06B-Sine-Controller-TEST.maxpat (15.6 KB)