< Back to IRCAM Forum

Can't Open - High Sierra

When I open the app, the following window opens up. It doesn’t work any.
How to solve this?

Orchids0.9.2
macOS 10.13
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

I had this problem last night. When I upgraded to High Sierra, it reset the security settings. Go to terminal and type in sudo spctl --master-disable. Then go to System Preferences/security and Privacy and you should be able to select “Anywhere” under “Allow apps downloaded from.” You may need to reinstall Orchids. But I do have it running fine now.

Best,
Tim

Thanks, Tim.
I changed the security setting and reinstall Orchids. But It doesn’t work. The window is the same as before.

Best regards,
Satoshi

Please tell me if there is any other idea.

Hi Satoshi.
Did you re-download and re-install? I had to do that after changing the security settings.

Tim

Hi Tim.
Yes, I did. I tried Re-download, Re-install, and Restart. But always the same result.

Satoshi

Well, now I’m having that problem again. It worked last night and this morning when I used it for about 3-4 hours, but tonight I get the same screen you are. I tried reinstalling again, and it didn’t work. So, it does look like there’s a bigger problem. Sorry, no ideas right now, but maybe the programmers will be able to do something about it soon. If I figure out something, I’ll share it here.

Tim

Hi Orchids users,

Well you have 2 Major problems here :

1. Orchids doesn’t have an Apple signature. So it will freak out the Gatekeeper, and will notify you that, either it is damaged (which is not) or, it is a third party application… Well this is also due to the fact that it is a Max Standalone app.

2. Other problem could also be the Bach issue. You need to update your bach max package if you installed any.

Anyhow, our dev team is aware about it. But unfortunately it is not yet on their timeline.
I hope these issues will be fixed ASAP.

Best And goodnight.
K

Hi everyone.
Thank you very much. But Orchids still does not work.
Bach, Orchids, and Max are Up-to-Date.
And I reinstalled the Bach library too. But still the same.

Orchids : 0.9.2
Bach : 0.7.9b
Max : 7.3.4 (32-bit mac)

macOS 10.13
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Best regards,
Satoshi

Ohh,

forgot to add. High Sierra is not tested on most of everything.
Please next time, if you are under music production. don’t upgrade your system most particularly if it is an Apple MacOS…
Many Halooweenesh things could happen !

best
K

Hi Karim.

I see. hope you make update soon.

Best regards,
Satoshi

Hi,

Just paste into the Terminal this (without quotes): “sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Orchids0.9.2.app” - change /Applications/Orchids0.9.2.app into the path of the application, in case you have moved or renamed it.
Please DO NOT disable the Gatekeeper, unless strictly necessary (i.e. no other methods working).

Now, once opening Orchids for a second time, the interface might appear all messed up and being infact completely unusable. I think it is due a permission issue. To temporarily fix this, follow this procedure:

• Ensure that Orchids is not running!
  • Right click on the Finder icon
  • Select “Go to Folder…” (or just type Cmd+Shift+G while the Finder is open)
  • Paste this into the dialog (without quotes): “~/Library/Application Support/Orchids 0.9.2 Preferences/”
  • Delete “temp-Orchids”
  • Empty the trash

Since all of this has to be done each time you reopen the app, I may post here a script that can take care of it. In case of need, just ask.
That’s pretty much it. I hope you will find this useful.

Cheers,
Alfredo DV

thank you so much this fix is working on my mac!

thank you so much this fix is working on my mac!

Fantastic! Well done.

May I ask how to create a script for it?

Thank you.

Hi, sorry for my belated answer.

My script is attached here - it’s indeed very rudimental, but it works. Simply download and then double click on it.
If your computer jabbers something about permissions (i.e. won’t start the script), open the Terminal and type "chmod +x " (watch out for the space after the x, it’s needed) and drag-and-drop the file onto the Terminal window, then press Enter. Double click on the file again, it should work.

Just in case, the script can be edited anytime by opening it with any sort of text editor.

EDIT: It seems like the file won’t show up as attachment. So just copy-paste this code into a text file (plain text file, not RTF or anything else) and then save it as orchidsstarter.command:

#!/bin/sh  

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Orchids\ 0.9.2\ Preferences/temp-Orchids  
open /Applications/Orchids*  
exit

Then follow the chmod instructions above.