< Back to IRCAM Forum

Can't open database wav files

Hello

I’m trying Orchids for the 1st time but am having trouble with the database:

I load a target file and apply some filters etc. that’s fine. I press the orchestrate button and receive some solutions, that’s fine.

The problem is I can’t hear the solutions when I press play and the Max window gives errors saying it can’t find or open the wav files from the database.

During installation I dragged and dropped the folder SOL_0.9c_HQ onto the Parse Database and Build Explorer

It then spends maybe 40 minutes analysing the wav files.

A confusing thing in the manual says:
6. Click on the database tab in the top tool bar - I can’t see a database tab in the tool bar!
7. Drag & drop your SOL_0.9 folder in the explorer on the pre-existing SOL_0.9 icon - I could not see this icon!

Instead I dropped the SOL_0.9 on the Parse Database and Build Explorer in the explorer window.

Am I doing something very wrong and is there another file path that needs to be set?

Thanks

Some more information on my problem:

After dragging the SOL_0.9c_HQ folder to the Parse Database and Build Explorer

The Max womndow show the following error for each wav file in the database

Shell: Add /Applications/Max 6.1/patches/SOL_0.9c_HQ/Keyboards/Accordion/ordinario/Acc-ord-G7-mf.wav went wrong... Shell: Analysis of : /Applications/Max 6.1/patches/SOL_0.9c_HQ/Keyboards/Accordion/ordinario/Acc-ord-G7-pp.wav Shell: Error : File contains data in an unknown format. : /Applications/Max 6.1/patches/SOL_0.9c_HQ/Keyboards/Accordion/ordinario/Acc-ord-G7-pp.wav Shell: File contains data in an unknown format.

Dear Tomslater,

Have you tried the new 0.9.2 version ? It fixes a lot of issues :slight_smile:
But in your case, it looks like there is a problem with your wave files (maybe the download of the database went wrong ?). You can check the samples manually by going through the SOL_0.9c_HQ folder and listening directly to the waves here. If they work, you can check (in the new 0.9.2 version) the following file
~/Library/Application\ Support/Orchids\ 0.9.2\ Preferences/Presets/orchids_folderpaths.txt
And ensure that it points to the correct database folder.

All the best,
Philippe