< Back to IRCAM Forum

Call for help to community

Dear community,

I’m not in the field of programming or technology and just found this amazing website so I’m asking for community help. I’m from the fields of physiotherapy and dance-movement therapy.

Due to my doctoral thesis I’m currently searching for a program: movement and sound interaction/real life movement translation in to sound + graphic as well. Are there any free program that I could try? And does it work on MacBook Air?

So far I found Mubu, downloaded something, but nothing works on my computer. Do they have any video training how to use it?

Thank you in advance for recommendations.
Madara

Hi Madara,

You need a paid premium IRCAM subscription in order to have free and full access to IRCAM’s software, including MuBu (for Max/MSP.) And yes, all the software is available for macOS.

In case you already have a MoCap system, you could use it for example with Blender or Unreal Engine which are both free:

All the best,
António

1 Like

Dear Antonio,

thank You for such a useful advice. :slightly_smiling_face: Currently I don’t have any MoCap system, but I’m checking out.

Another question - as I understand this MuBu is what I’m searching for: real-life motion capture and movement transformation into sound in real-time, right? The description for me is written in a quite technical language and I didn’t get it fully.

Best regards,
Madara

Dear Madara,

Some more information:

• MuBu for Max is freely downloadable, it is NOT part of the Forum premium. It’s also available directly from the Max package manager

• …but you need Max from Cycling’74 ? which is not free. Yu can try it for 30 days.
    Have you already downloaded Max8 from Cycling’74 ?

• Yes you can use MuBu to create a system that translates movements into sounds, but you need an motion sensor typically a camera (e.g. Kinect) or a wireless sensor such as Acceleremeters/Gyroscope (which could be you smartphone)

• Warning: MuBu is integrated in Max which need some programming. It’s not a “plug and play” solution.

I hope this helps

Best,
Frederic

1 Like

Dear Frederic,

thank You for information! :slight_smile:

Aha, then I need some programming for MuBu, that I can’t do, so I could possibly communicate with some local IT students due to my project, it is good to know.

Maybe there are some “plug and play” ready to use programs outside in world that you now? Of course, probably I would need a motion sensor camera and some extras, that’s ok.

Best regards,
Madara

Hi Antonio,

just to confirm that MuBu just need a free subscription to be downloaded and used and not a Premium one. The same applies to all Ircam Max Librairies :wink:

Best

Hi,

MuBu is indeed what you need.
You can also check for web-based version such as the one recently post by Monica Lim:

Hope this helps…

1 Like

Hi Greg,

Yeah, my mistake. As there’s no Premium category any longer under Technologies on the main page, I figured it was all premium now.

Merry Christmas.

All the best,
António

Hello,

thank You for Your help and advice! :slightly_smiling_face: I think this information is enough for my project starting place and I will try to explore MuBu first. If I will need some help further with this, I will ask in discussion.

Thank you guys, you all really helped me out to get in right direction with this.

Best regards,
Madara